Why the hell did this happen ?

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/exxosuk

Why the hell did this happen ?

Post by exxos » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:05 pm

This literally exploded at 11pm last night :o :o :o Cold water pipe to the bathroom sink cold water tap upstairs.

Was lucky I was around to turn the water off rapid! It flooded the bathroom floor and leaking though the ceiling setting the kitchen smoke alarm off.. which has since died.

This is all after the shed roof leaking this past week (which I cant for the life of me figure out) and the week before the dishwasher feed pipe blew flooding the kitchen.

I've since kept the master tap turned down as this is all just getting silly now.. I mean how a steel braid can blow out is beyond me.

IMG_5784.JPG
IMG_5784.JPG (221.04 KiB) Viewed 327 times
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

arkadiusz.makarenko
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Re: Why the hell did this happen ?

Post by arkadiusz.makarenko » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:08 pm

Happened to me 8 years ago.
Finest chineese steel. :D
Do not trust people. They are capable of greatness.
~ Stanislaw Lem

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/exxosuk

Post by exxos » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:14 pm

arkadiusz.makarenko wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:08 pm
Happened to me 8 years ago.
Finest chineese steel. :D
ah sux :( I did look to see if BnQ had anything "better" but all look like cheap crap anyway. Keeping a close eye on all the other pipes now!
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

PaulJ_2.0

Post by PaulJ_2.0 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:43 pm

Seems like you have some high pressure in your mains.
Ask neighbours if they have had the same, if so it's your supplier and you might be able to claim.
If it's just you, you can get a pressure reduction valve fitted (well you could do this either way).

bfollowell

Post by bfollowell » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:30 am

That's crazy! I always use those on the washing machine and just felt so safe having used them. So much for that warm and fuzzy feeling now.

Seriously, I'd get someone to look into your water pressure. I mean, everyone likes great water pressure, but that's ridiculous!

Tomswork

Post by Tomswork » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:37 am

Made in China of the finest steel

Tom

DoG

Post by DoG » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:51 am

Rubber/plastic dries out over time and burst or become brittle. Or hose is poorly made without consisting thickness and the weak part burst. The braid can't hold that growing bulge.

It seems to be the latter in this case.

terriblefire
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by terriblefire » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:00 am

Usually these things happen after N thermal or pressure cycles.
———
I get cranky when asked to repeat myself.

rubber_jonnie

Post by rubber_jonnie » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:31 am

As I suggested on FB, I think it may have been twisted during installation, leading to damage of the internal hose, and failure after a number of cycles as mentioned by @terriblefire

It could also be that there was internal invisible damage to the braid, and after so many operations it chafed on the inner hose until such time as no longer being able to hold back the pressure.

UK water supply standards show a pressure of 10-15 PSI (Depending on where you look) so whilst it is nothing like the pressure in your car tyres (About a 3rd of that), in a static situation with taps off, it's certainly enough to cause this kind of catastrophic damage.
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ultimate 1MB, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k +APE Warp) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg), 1040STF long button floppy, 2x 1040 STFMs + Gotek, 2x 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher, Mega ST1, Mega ST4, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by PaulJ » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:35 pm

@rubber_jonnie , your lucky you were home and not sleeping. I worry about that here since water pressure is a lot higher. From the street water pressure is 120 PSI and there’s a regulator which has it turned down to 60 PSI. I do have a value on the washer so when not in use the water is off so if a hose does burst it has no water supply. One question though Jon.... What is GB doing using PSI? It’s hard to believe your not using something like KSML. (Kilograms per Square Milliliter) That hose must really have been bad to break at that low pressure. Matter of fact I can’t imagine using water at 15 PSI.

Return to “CHAT FORUM”