Ebay is great, not!

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/exxosuk

Ebay is great, not!

Post by exxos » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:02 pm

Thought I would share this. Just shows how bad ebay operate with the "iron fist" way of doing things. Always the same, ebay screw up, seller must fix it else goodbye. "loyal customer" yeah, went out the door long time ago. Counts for nothing when your just a number these days. How ebay have managed to operate so badly for so long is beyond me.

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?

Steve
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Re: Ebay is great, not!

Post by Steve » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:10 pm

I know.. it's slowly changing with new platforms emerging in the last ten years, but who's to say they'll be any better. I think eBay's philosophy is No1 make sure the customer is protected at all costs, no matter the person or seller. They're fine to lose sellers I think because at the end of the day if they're popular enough, they should be making their own digital stores anyway (like yourself) so the distribution they end up with is lots of small sellers, lots of massive sellers, but nothing in between. This is because the in betweens can't survive due to this model.
Repairs & Servicing for Atari & Amiga machines (and any other retro computers) Located in the West Midlands UK. PM me if you require assistance.
www.solidstatesociety.co.uk

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:38 pm

I don't think small sellers can even survive on eBay any more... When I set up my second account long time ago, I tried selling from that account.. Exactly the same stuff and it was like 50 pages down the list... EBay say having a shop does not increase your rankings for anything ( at least they did at the time) but clearly that was a lie as well.. I gave up selling on that new account after several months of nothing.

Some people ages ago basically said " I've not got what it takes to be a seller on eBay".. Really annoyed me at the time, but really it is true. I have not got what it takes to jump through impossible hoops and be screwed over by a large corporation and be happy with it.

Even the more middle size stores struggle and I have known people who closed shop. I used to think eBay just wanted the larger sellers on there and wanted to screw over everyone else.. But everyone seems to fall under the same model.. Big or small, right or wrong, if they dislike something you are gone.

But anyway, like that video says, like me when I signed up almost 20 years ago , I never had any issues with PayPal at all.. And well, everyone should know that story... But I am really surprised the guy in the video got his account back at all.. Give it another week and still see if he still has his account..

I really do feel sorry for that guy, I have not watched many of his videos, but him and his wife seem really nice honest people. Then eBay screw up and it's the sellers fault... But this is not the first time they have run into problems with eBay...

A eBay representative even contacted them after a load of drama with a car headlight.. Apparently she was horrified by everything which went on... But alas the perfect excuse of CV19 came along.. And they as far as I know not heard anything back since... More amazingly was how horrified this representative allegedly was, I mean seriously, this crap has been going on for over 10 years now and they seriously have no idea ? They just don't care..

It pretty much is the same with a lot of companies.. I will refrain from ranting about other companies that screwed me over.. But generally I just try and avoid any third parties whatsoever.. If I do have to deal with one, like the company which host my server, I check them out before I make sure they give good support before I start using them... I hosted my server in the UK for years, but similar things of being screwed over by companies and even being long-term customer counts for nothing, not really surprised.. It's all just a classic "sting in the tail" charges which really annoy the hell out of me.. I mean companies offer bad support causing you to leave, and then they bill you because you are leaving..

Anyway did not want this to turn into another exxos rant... Just annoys me no end when the decent folk just want to make a living end up as victims of badly run corporations...
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

Steve
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by Steve » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:45 pm

One thing I noticed recently (not sure how long it has been going on) is that there are hundreds of Chinese ebay shops who pass themselves off as UK business. It is really easy to tell - just search for any common place IT tech, like a wireless keyboard, click 'UK only' then check out all the sellers on the first page. Their business will be classed as located in London and they have names like 'superhappy99' 'lightlifelove87' 'supremebunnyhappy' and other random positive english words all mashed together. They trick people in to thinking they're buying local and yet they are just getting expedited shipping from China. This is one of the worst practices on ebay I wish they would stamp out.
edit - I just realised I bet ebay knows about it but they make so much profit from the fee's that they quietly accept it...

Here you go .. went hunting and found one straight away:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Slim-T ... 4276862574
Says 'London' - then check at the bottom
KAISHI INTERNATIONAL TRADING LIMITED
Central, HK
Hong Kong
Repairs & Servicing for Atari & Amiga machines (and any other retro computers) Located in the West Midlands UK. PM me if you require assistance.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:56 pm

Yep, thats been going on since day 1. You have to look at their profiles and see where they really are. Loads of people complained about it.. like it did any good.

PaulJ_2.0

Post by PaulJ_2.0 » Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:35 pm

The easiest way to filter out far east sellers is to use the filter 'Click and Collect' Only UK based sellers can offer this. I use it all of the time if I need something semi urgent.

Steve
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by Steve » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:33 pm

PaulJ_2.0 wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:35 pm
The easiest way to filter out far east sellers is to use the filter 'Click and Collect' Only UK based sellers can offer this. I use it all of the time if I need something semi urgent.
Oh great tip! Cheers

mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:50 pm

Steve wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:33 pm
Oh great tip! Cheers
A better tip... AVIOD USING EBAY! :lol:

Customer loyalty is actually a negative thing in this day and age. Think phone/internet/insurance. The better deals are to entice customers. If youve been their customer for years, that just gives them a chance to hike up the price slowly without you noticing (hopefully for them).

I read an article recently from an alleged member of the Ebay security team blowing the whistle on their mafia mob style tactics. Even the security staff were constantly threatened, never mind the sellers!

I think Ebay has got to the stage where it is a necessary evil for a great many people and they know it.

LezRed

Post by LezRed » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:26 pm

Have you been sent any anonymous packages containing live cockroaches :lol:

https://esellercafe.com/six-former-ebay ... -campaign/

I avoid selling anything on eBay anymore, even as a private seller. It always seems to go wrong at some point meaning I spend loads of time sorting it out or lose a few quid - usually not eBays fault, but I know who they will back if it gets escalated :(

mikro

Post by mikro » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:27 pm

Today I had the most bizzare experience with eBay. I wasn't buying (or god forbid selling!) on eBay anything for a couple of months. Yesterday I just messaged one guy about an item, we exchanged two messages each and that was it.

An hour later I got the typical non-sense email about suspended account. What did I do? They didn't tell. Just review your payments, verify your account if you hadn't etc. And yes, you can make an appeal. You go to the appeal page and there's no link to do anything, just generic help, basically what was in the email.

So I go to "contact us" page, its restricted accounts section. Can I contact them? Nope, we're sorry, we have only limited number of support people, you can't chat with us. Can I send them an email? Nope. But I can browse their community help, how great is that?

So I tried today. I was able to make it to the online chat. The gyu didn't tell me anything except they have to make a phone call with me. How? He couldn't tell, I should go to the contact page (the one which has only that chat option I'm just being in!) Oh, I should go to the Contact Us page. But I can't do it under my account, I have to use a different account. What if I don't have one? Well, ... you can send us an email. How, there's only that chat option? After a while the guy is sending me some "seller request for managing listings" support page where I indeed can write a message. And he kicked me out of the chat.

So I described my situation in that message. Surprisingly, I got quite a quick reply, now I finally know what to do - send them some proof of my identity. So the usual, scans of my ID, bills etc... (I'm not even thinking about the GDPR). Got reply from another person: sorry, can't verify your address (despite it is on the electricity bill). There was only a slight hint as of why -- it appears that my address has to match the address I used by registration 15 years ago (!!!). Out of despair I sent them my old ID scan (which I accidentaly had in my gmail inbox from 10 years ago...) which also has my old address on it. Got reply from the first person: your electricity bill (!!!) has proved your address, your account has been restored.

W.T.F.

In general I'm happy I managed to restore it but the process... why on earth one of the richest companies in the world can't have a decent workflow for solving simple issues like this is beyond me.

Return to “CHAT FORUM”