Openflops floppy emulator

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
Steve
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Openflops floppy emulator

Post by Steve » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:00 pm

Yo guys,

I've been waiting for Centuriontech to get more Goex in stock for what feels like six months, not sure what's going on, I emailed him about two of three times etc.. Anyway I started looking for alternatives that have Flashfloppy and found this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OpenFlops-Fl ... 3636762847
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg (48.95 KiB) Viewed 390 times
It's called OpenFlops. Apparently its free and open source hardware and runs Flashfloppy. Another cool feature is that it will support dual floppy drives, A and B! With seperate access lights and rotary controller. Very nice!

Anyways, I've ordered a couple of units. If they work well you can't go wrong with the price.
Repairs & Servicing for Atari & Amiga machines (and any other retro computers) Located in the West Midlands UK. PM me if you require assistance.
www.solidstatesociety.co.uk

go0se

Re: Openflops floppy emulator

Post by go0se » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:49 pm

That looks suspiciously like a 're-branded' version of https://github.com/SukkoPera/OpenFlops with no mention in the listing of where it came from, although I do see his name on the board silkscreen.

I have no idea what the license situation is in terms of the 'real?' Gotek boards, if such a thing exists? As that project is as far as I can tell a recreation from a Gotek schematic that appeared a few year ago. If anyone knows more about who actually 'owns' the Gotek design then it would be interesting to hear....?

DoG
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by DoG » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:50 pm

You can even make your own.

There are several Gotek PCB out there. I have one for example that is super small and connects between original floppy and floppy cable. Small connectors on board make USB connector be relocated anywhere. Rotary switch on cable. Then have a switch for A/B on a cable as well.

cmorley

Post by cmorley » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:15 pm

go0se wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:49 pm
If anyone knows more about who actually 'owns' the Gotek design then it would be interesting to hear....?
At a guess this lot.

go0se

Post by go0se » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:11 pm

cmorley wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:15 pm
go0se wrote:
If anyone knows more about who actually 'owns' the Gotek design then it would be interesting to hear....?
At a guess this lot.
Well if Gotekemulator did indeed design it, as their 'About Us' page alludes to, and they're clearly still selling it, then creating an Open Source version seems a bit dubious. Remaking an open firmware i.e. FlashFloppy or HxC to run on their hardware is perfectly legitimate but remaking the still commercially available hardware seems questionable.

You can buy the 'original' product with a nice moulded case for £16 with free postage from China!

Perhaps Western clones of Chinese products are viewed a little differently to their counterparts? :lol:

Steve
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by Steve » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:21 pm

go0se wrote:
That looks suspiciously like a 're-branded' version of https://github.com/SukkoPera/OpenFlops with no mention in the listing of where it came from, although I do see his name on the board silkscreen.

I have no idea what the license situation is in terms of the 'real?' Gotek boards, if such a thing exists? As that project is as far as I can tell a recreation from a Gotek schematic that appeared a few year ago. If anyone knows more about who actually 'owns' the Gotek design then it would be interesting to hear....?
Didn't you read the description of the product? It's open source hardware that anyone can produce. It's not a copied gotek. They silkscreened it because they produced it.
Repairs & Servicing for Atari & Amiga machines (and any other retro computers) Located in the West Midlands UK. PM me if you require assistance.

Homer79

Post by Homer79 » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:49 pm

go0se wrote:

It is a rebranded edition with his blessing. I already spoke with him about it.

go0se

Post by go0se » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:18 pm

Steve wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:21 pm
It's not a copied gotek. They silkscreened it because they produced it.
So it has the same form factor, dimensions and mount holes as a Gotek, the same component layout as a Gotek, can run the same firmware as the Gotek and is based off the schematic from the Gotek, but it's not a copied Gotek?

What else does it need to qualify as a copy? :lol:

Steve
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by Steve » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:39 am

Why does everything have to be a conspiracy theory these days... Just read the GitHub and he explains the original building blocks were started with the gotek schematic and the form factor was kept so that people can still use widely produced gotek cases... It's not rocket science, just read the link that you pasted earlier...

https://github.com/SukkoPera/OpenFlops

Return to “CHAT FORUM”