When Google can track your parcel

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
DrF

When Google can track your parcel

Post by DrF » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:45 pm

I copied a tracking number from a email on my phone with no pen to had into a Google window open on the desktop, out of habit i smacked the enter key, now Google seemed to know that it was a FedEx tracking number? I presume from the formatting because if I start banging in random numbers it dont work and gives normal results. Thought this was interesting anyhow.
fed.png
fed.png (15.93 KiB) Viewed 106 times

Petari

Re: When Google can track your parcel

Post by Petari » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:17 pm

It's browser what remembers latest (a lot of latest) enter values, text in editable fields for submission.

DrF

Post by DrF » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:26 pm

Petari wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:17 pm
It's browser what remembers latest (a lot of latest) enter values, text in editable fields for submission.
Yeah I was just shocked it knew what the number was instead of turning up a load of random search results, so someone took the time to make it recognize the formatting of the string? a better question would be why? I see no link between postal companies and Google well not yet they don't own the entire planet yet... Amazon has the other half... :lol:

exxos
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:28 pm

I have seen that also, I cannot remember which tracking codes it was, but some of them like FedEx or something, you can paste it right into Google, and Google somehow knows it is a FedEx tracking number, and takes you right to the FedEx tracking site..

Just Using FedEx as an example, I don't remember if FedEx actually does this or not..
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

DrF

Post by DrF » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:51 pm

This number had a link directly to the tracking info page, but I am sure I done this before and got tracking info right there in a box on the Google page. Quite worrying I think :p

I use Google for loads of lazy things now. Spellings, maths, calculators, conversions, finding my IP, you just ask it stuff and it comes back with a answer removing the need for 3rd party sites now.

I even use it to search eBay because its far more effective than eBay's own broken search functions.

exxos
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:01 pm

DrF wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:51 pm
This number had a link directly to the tracking info page, but I am sure I done this before and got tracking info right there in a box on the Google page. Quite worrying I think :p
Yep, they are just taking over, removing popular sites one by one.. At some point in the future, Google will be running a lot, and then we will end up needing to pay to use Google services as it will be basically everything on the Internet.. Is how big business and companies operate..

I mean look at PayPal, the largest online payment systems, get screwed over by then, and you're basically locked out of just about everything.. Now people should be extremely worried about this..
DrF wrote:
I use Google for loads of lazy things now. Spellings, maths, calculators, conversions, finding my IP, you just ask it stuff and it comes back with a answer removing the need for 3rd party sites now.
I do that as well, mostly because I can ever remember how many zeros are in various things.. Handy for spelling and quick conversions etc
DrF wrote:
I even use it to search eBay because its far more effective than eBay's own broken search functions.
I see they finally moved contact seller bit back to where it used to be years ago :lol:

I don't really use eBay any more, I can't without PayPal.. A lot of sellers do not accept payments outside of PayPal, eBay doesn't accept any other payment systems other than PayPal, about the only thing I can really buy on there these days is my packing boxes..
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.