Lost the content of an hdd, atari compilation gone

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
Maeke

Lost the content of an hdd, atari compilation gone

Post by Maeke » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:26 pm

As said, yesterday night one of my backup hdds crashed, and it was the only one containing my Atari compilation.
I have to redownload everything now. :dizzy: :blonde:
At least i have some older and smaller versions elsewhere, i can retreive some of the atari softs and games i had.
feels dejected.
If i take too long to reply, sorry my cat is sleeping on my laps.

Neffers

Re: Lost the content of an hdd, atari compilation gone

Post by Neffers » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:05 pm

I know that feeling. I lost a few years of PC stuff a while ago. Just silly projects, stuff I'd be showing peeps when they came round to visit. Later they'd come back "Oi Neffers show my mate that tune we were messing around with..." Gone. There were many important things also, but the "fun times" stuff was erased.

My son yanked at he DMA cable on my FM' while it was in use, luckily I wasn't attached to the data on that, and the ST still recognises and R/W's (well, it did the last time I checked), I was still a bit miffed at losing my sweet Superboot setup though.
Resident idiot. (Qualified, got a Diploma and everything)

rubber_jonnie

Post by rubber_jonnie » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:37 pm

I've put a lot of Atari stuff in OneDrive, it's made a big difference to what I have to store locally, and I'm confident it is backed up. Also, with the current update of OneDrive, you#re not keeping a local copy all the time, only when you need to use it does it download.
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ape Warp mod, 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k) & XC12, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST + Gotek, 1040STF, 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher and CosmosEx
Plus the rest..
C64 + 1541 and cassette, 2x Sinclair QL, Mac Classic, Mac Performa 6200, Amiga 1200, ICL One Per Desk, Epson HX20, Dreamcast, original Xbox, SNES and a bunch of other bits n bobs I can't remember right now. :D
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

Maeke

Post by Maeke » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:19 am

Well it will be enough for the Atari stuff, but the hdd is a 650GB and it was almost full.

Petari

Post by Petari » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:47 am

Hard disks and newer Flash solutions like SSD, diverse cards, CD, DVD ROMs should be considered as unreliable, limited lifetime storage devices, medias. Because they are really it. I used plenty of hard disks during my computer time, since 1991. Most if it is dead now. Practically only what is barely used is still operational - like 2 60 MB WD 2.5 inch drives - I used one of them with Sinclair Spectrum and other as backup of it. 46 MB original Mega STE Seagate drive is still working, but I don't know how much first owner used it. I used it max 10 hours. I had 3 2.5 inch IBM drives about 160 MB, all they died in short time - possibly because not so good powering. Then, plenty of drives used in PCs. Probably most interesting is case of 2 Maxtor drives, which I bought about 10 years ago - 160 and 200 GB. They are still operational in limited way - still can access all data on them, but their mechanic is wore, and sometimes just stop working. I copied all relevant files from them in 2016, but still keep them as some kind of backup :D
Situation with Flash cards is similar - they tend to cease. 4 CF cards stopped to work (well, I use them probably more than usual people), one is little damaged, but can work in 8-bit mode. It is better with SD cards, probably because simpler connector.
All in all, I can say that making multiple copies of all relevant data is essential. In case of some oldie SW like Atari ST it needs really not much space. Probably all it can go on single 8-16 GB card, or even less. And that costs now really little. For some 8-bit machine 100 MB can be enough. What is harder part is time needed to save all it. In may case there is much more to save - hard disk adaptation of games (over 1100 now) takes plenty of space - still, that 50 GB is nothing now, when 1GB is practically minimum for new hard drive.

Maeke

Post by Maeke » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:39 pm

Well the situation is harsh to say for my own honor, the hdd itself is still working, but the formatter who should have formatted a sd card formatted the hdd insteed, i was probably too tired to be reliable myself.
So not really a hdd crash but a mistake due to sleepy user....
Well i was planning to do a thorough cleaning of the hdd and have already retrieve the most important (my atari software and games compilation was for a good part on the sd card of one of my android devices, and the emulation part has been redownloaded already. And well our friend petari is a good source for finding back the few games i lost....
I just need to rebuild my gotek software folder now.
And i won't bother recovering the files on the hdd, several days of work for recuva.

exxos
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:52 pm

Maeke wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:39 pm
Well the situation is harsh to say for my own honor, the hdd itself is still working, but the formatter who should have formatted a sd card formatted the hdd insteed, i was probably too tired to be reliable myself.
So not really a hdd crash but a mistake due to sleepy user....
My girlfriend did just that the other day! :roll:

I remember back around 2002 but I had a Fujitsu hard drive as my main drive, and a Fujitsu hard drive as a backup drive. After a couple of weeks the drive made a horrible sound and died. I thought it would not matter as I had a backup anyway, but as I was recovering my files, that drive also died. But no matter, as I also had a backup several CD-RW's as well, where not one single one of them worked either..

I have managed to survive countless hard drive issues over the years. It took a great deal of time and frustration to find a brand and supply of 1TB drives which were reliable. I also ended up in a lot of disputes with companies over faulty hard drives :roll:

I had similar issues with SSD drives being unreliable, which also resulted in much disputes with companies. It is very difficult to find a reliable product these days :(

Thankfully I have all my data from 2002 right up until today. My C: drive is backed up each day to another hard drive.. I also backup important files to USB stick. My website is backed up in three different locations around the world also.

Thankfully over the past few years I have not had any issues, I pretty much refuse to put anything in new my PC anymore :)
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

troed

Post by troed » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:04 pm

I value time above anything else nowadays. So, since I'm not the only one in the family (but also for me), our setup is that I run a home server with RAIDed disks. That server also runs the Seafile personal self-hosted cloud service (think Owncloud/Nextcloud but actually fast). All mobiles and computers synchronise through Seafile. I.e, as soon as I've even snapped a picture it's securely stored on the RAID. All files also have history, so I can revert to earlier versions.

Bonus: I can freely share weblinks to any file on the server, and only that specific folder or file then becomes opened up. Like my Hatari nightly builds: https://troed.ddns.net/d/b90229b625/

I build them on one of my laptops, which immediately synchronises with the server and the file becomes publicly accessible.

Before I created this setup, I've had a few near misses and one dead HD that when they happened cost many many hours of time I'd rather do something else with ... :)

IngoQ

Post by IngoQ » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:19 pm

troed wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:04 pm
I value time above anything else nowadays. So, since I'm not the only one in the family (but also for me), our setup is that I run a home server with RAIDed disks. That server also runs the Seafile personal self-hosted cloud service (think Owncloud/Nextcloud but actually fast).
My brother from another mother :-)

Data at home is stored on my NAS, beeing Atom based and running 4 HDDs in RAID5. It daily replicates it's content (except video and audio files, which I consider to be replacable) to my public server. The server runs Nextcloud and allows access to the replica and some portable data. The server get's backuped daily to tape.

In addition all of my family's computers have a VPN connection to that system, mainly to provide a way of connecting via VNC, but also a XMPP-Server.

And yes, my smartphone also syncs via Nextcloud, uploading every picture instantly, which is VERY handy :)

A lot of work to setup, but it never failed me since then. Working flawlessly for 7 years now.
Ingo :geek:

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Gunstick

Post by Gunstick » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:07 pm

if you did not yet do too much to the HDD except formatting it, there may be a chance to recover.
The formatting only kills the partition and the root directory.
All subfolder directories and files are kept.
What also vanishes is the FAT, so if the disk is fragmented a lot, you have less chance of recovering.

You can use testdisk to try to recover the partition
https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
There is photorec, which is part of testdisk, which can recover a lot of file types.
https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec