A 35 year old Atari 2600 record just fell and not in the good way.

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
Maeke

A 35 year old Atari 2600 record just fell and not in the good way.

Post by Maeke » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:00 pm

Just saw it in the news, Todd Rogers had since 35 years the record for Dragster on Atari 2600, and he has been disqualified for cheat suspicion!
A software never managed to equal the record, and so a group of 13 players tried too, they managed to reach the software's score, but not the 35 year old record.
So, real cheat? superhuman gamer? what do you think?
https://kotaku.com/infamous-atari-playe ... 1822511777
If i take too long to reply, sorry my cat is sleeping on my laps.

exxos
Site Admin

Re: A 35 year old Atari 2600 record just fell and not in the good way.

Post by exxos » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:17 am

Reminds me of a PC game I played a couple of years ago, someone got a fast time, nobody ever managed to beat it.. I can very very close.. but it was a car game... if by some huge chance he got all turbos for power up during the race, its possible it could be done, but chances of that happening are like 1 in a million.

I don't know that 2600 game.. but odd things like that can happen.. maybe even more so as it might depend on hardware timings also ?
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

rpineau

Post by rpineau » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:23 am

You should check Ben Heck Show trying to make it work with some hardware with the guy next to him. It' interesting and yes reset timing and other things came in play :

Petari

Post by Petari » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:30 am

There are diverse ways to cheat in some game. In article was talk about polaroid photo as proof for made record. Certainly very hard to make some editing of it without traces. But, you can do some nasty tricks with SW and even HW. In case of some console with cartridges it is little harder to add some cheats to SW, but is possible, of course. But you can make something in HW too - like changing some timer in computer, and that can change complete game flow and times. In other words, doping is possible with computer games too :D
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

Maeke

Post by Maeke » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:28 am

The thing is his draggster record isn't the only one that is suspicious, he managed 15.000.000 on donkey kong for example when the second was waaaaay under this score.
Look the video in the link i gave.
PS funny that some of the records were officialy registered in the base by his friend or by himself.

DrF

Post by DrF » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:45 am

I heard about this guy last week on some video and after watching it thought hmmm....

In 1 game he had a score like 48363 when it only goes up in 50's, another game had a max score of 13000 and then you die and he had way above that, another plane game he had a impossible time they altered the game to remove all the obstacles and still could not match his time :lol:

Apparently it was his friend who was verifying the scores way back. Something about VHS recordings of the records too that the local police lost after some investigation, same people running the database and altering it with no moderation etc. it was all very political for me so I went to bed :lol:

I was wondering why would someone do this?
What do you stand to gain from it really?

Maeke

Post by Maeke » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:48 am

35 years of fame, then shame.

Neffers

Post by Neffers » Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:42 am

Apollo's vids have been good at condensing the info obtained by others. I have been watching this topic for a while. His previous 2 vids are also worth viewing regarding the whole TG thing.

He's also sceptical of the whole record / runner scene. He called out Games Done Quick (GDQ / and SGDQ), a speed running event for charity - that is really fishy, it prompted him to get a rod and cast around for facts on what the money gathered was used for - and if there were any beneficiaries, yeah there is, it's not quite a bogus event but it's deffo surfing on the crest of the wave. The following vid from 2 years ago is his findings. (NSFW language just in case you have lil peeps running around)

It's a real shame as the guys who started the idea of speed running games for charity are bundled with these "charity events" now. It wasn't great to start with (so much stuff to cringe at, and some stereo typical gamer tropes shone through), but as the money started coming in, so did interest.

Currently, there's a european event running right now (ESA if you want to check it out) that is pretty much the same (even the branding is similar) but in it's infancy that isn't as censored, but as soon as it picks up it'll go under the same regime - they are already infected with Twitch admin and guys from GDQ.

Greed.
Resident idiot. (Qualified, got a Diploma and everything)