NES Maker (make your own Nintendo game)

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
DrF

NES Maker (make your own Nintendo game)

Post by DrF » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:21 am

While getting lost on YouTube while watching videos about 6502 CPU assembly for some reason I cant remember, I came across this interesting little thing :

Make your own Nintendo NES game with no coding required and flash it to a real cartridge. Seems a pretty cool thing to play with for a bit anyhow :D

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Re: NES Maker (make your own Nintendo game)

Post by Petari » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:53 am

Why not then doing some Atari game ? There were diverse 3D shooter construction kits, adventure construction kits and who knows what all ...
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

DrF

Post by DrF » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:17 pm

Petari wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:53 am
Why not then doing some Atari game ? There were diverse 3D shooter construction kits, adventure construction kits and who knows what all ...

I think because it's just easy now on a normal PC and then move it across without all the other dev nightmares, you got all your tools and other stuff just a quick Google away. I think this NES kit thing is aimed at someone who wants a easy way. I don't think this is aimed at someone who don't mind a bit of code. They say the completed games can be played in a emulator too so that might be part of the appeal, maybe you could make the game and not bother with the real hardware too?

I guess you could run something like Shoot em up kit on a ST emulator and then move your finished game over later that would be a option I would do save loads of messing about.

I had Graphic Adventure Creator for the C64, Shoot em up Construction Kit on the Amiga, AMOS & STOS Amiga/ST and a whole load of PC ones I am sure I had a pinball sim maker thing for DOS at some point?

Petari
Software Moderator
Software Moderator

Post by Petari » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:09 pm

Doing SW/games on much stronger machines with emulating target platform is actually not new thing. Psion used that system for Sinclair Spectrum - they made some kind of emulator of it on VAX, back in 1983. That can significantly improve productivity and tracing of SW.
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

DrF

Post by DrF » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:33 pm

Petari wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:09 pm
Doing SW/games on much stronger machines with emulating target platform is actually not new thing. Psion used that system for Sinclair Spectrum - they made some kind of emulator of it on VAX, back in 1983. That can significantly improve productivity and tracing of SW.
Indeed :)
I saw a interview with the Oliver Twins (Dizzy games loads of other CodeMasters games) and they had some custom Amstrad to Sinclair Spectrum hook up thing that drastically cut down dev time, no reloading a change every time they could do it right there and then and send it across. They was shocked no one else was using it. I cant find any pics at the moment but it does pop up often in interviews with them.

I also saw a Amiga jacked up to a Atari Lynx with some weird board and huge ribbon cable once somewhere for game making. Kind of makes sense due to the Lynx's history and Amiga engineers.

A interesting topic maybe I should look into this more :)