Retro-Hifi

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Retro-Hifi

Post by IngoQ » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:52 am

Anyone here hooked on Retro-Hifi as well? Be it Vinyl, Tape or Reel-to-Reel?

I recently found myself trying to re-complete my 90s Technics HIFI-System, and am currently thinking about buying a nice tape deck.

Anyone else this far off from sanity? ;)
Ingo :geek:

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Retro-Hifi

Post by IngoQ » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:30 am

As with computers, I don't want it to only look old ;) Besides, I have this strong feeling, that most electronics today not reach the quality standards of older devices. Although I am comparing old high-end with modern low- to mid-end, so this might not be entirely fair.

Regarding digital... Now, I do not doubt, that modern HD-Audio content provides the best possible quality. Although some people argue about effects like continuity of signal or time-smearing. And I am even quite sure, I would not be able to tell the difference between lossless and high-rate lossy encoding, provided both come from the same and high quality source.

But one thing is undeniable for me: The haptics. I collect old computers because I like to be able to touch and handle them. Same with music: I like to have something physical to touch, that represents the content. I just makes me appreciate it more and have a feeling of worth behind it. And when I can put a vinyl or even a tape in the player, see the lights turn on, see the wheels spinning... it is more of a experience as just tapping play on my smartphone...

Now, when I read it... yeah, pretty far from sanity indeed ;)

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Bobrane

Post by Bobrane » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:16 pm

yes! I regularly use a Philips B7X14A "Reverbeo" from 1961.
I've replaced the tubes some years ago. It is not in a great visual state, but works perfectly and has a stereo RCA input!
Reverbeo.jpg
Reverbeo.jpg (22.1 KiB) Viewed 742 times
Also, to listen to my vinyl collection, i use a Pathé-Marconi 78C "La Voix de Son Maître" from ~1950.
Also restored by me some years ago.
LVDSM.JPG
LVDSM.JPG (19.22 KiB) Viewed 742 times
Not really "HiFi", but totally "Retro"!
I like old stuff very much :D

IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:30 pm

These are sure beauties :) I have an old Phllips "Philetta" standing in the living room, always wanted to refurbish it. Seems like I really should ;)

Bobrane

Post by Bobrane » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:16 pm

Yeah, looks like a very nice and good looking one.
Have a look at this : https://antiqueradio.org/phil05.htm

DrF

Post by DrF » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:35 pm

Must be commercially viable again, our local ASDA now has a vinyl records section, so im assuming its on the up again :)

IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:29 pm

Bobrane wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:16 pm
Have a look at this : https://antiqueradio.org/phil05.htm
Thanks, that will be very helpful :)

Atari74user

Post by Atari74user » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:57 pm

I kind of share that too. I still have my 90s set up and was thinking of selling it, but decided not to as I like the sound, so there is no point. It's a mixture of Japanese and British, with a 90s Technics SUA900 MKII amp, British Arcam Alpha 6 CD player, Alpha 5 Plus tuner, and Mission 751s, which for me, were the last great Mission speakers, the rock solid 75 series. I did treat myself to a turntable as I still like my vinyl, and have my faithful Technics SL1200 MKIIs in my studio as a part of my DJ set up. I don't really do any DJing these days, but have kept those in my little studio. As such I did treat myself to the new incarnation of the Technics SL1200s, the SL1200 GR. So I now have vinyl again in my living room, which I am happy about. I did get a really good deal on it too over a blip Richer Sounds had on Black Friday, which I argued, and they honoured.

I don't really use tape anymore, but still have a whole load of tapes, so although I don't have the room to set it up, I still have a Pioneer CTS-830S, which is a great tape deck, one of the last before they died out, and has the quite silent Dolby S, really good when using metal tapes.

I absolutely agree with you, I like the tangible feel much like my affection of old computers, and the sound of it all. Don't get me wrong emulators and digital media are fine, but as cliche as this is, they lack soul for me, and that cannot be replaced. Convenient they are, but with digital media, in many ways and only in some instances, a backwards step in terms of out and out quality of sound.

In fact, I had an engineer perform a service on my CD player, and had this same conversation, in which he was adamant not to sell it, as despite technology moving on, in many ways, newer technology doesn't necessarily always mean better, the build quality he argued was far superior. I am an advocate of that! After all, how many years have I had my Atari's, and yes I use them, perhaps not every day. How many PCs have I been through, and all have crumbled to a state to be thrown away.

Romanticism has also been lost with music, where it is convenient of course to 'buy' digital media with one click of a button, the experience of the purchase has been nullified. I used to travel for music, deliberately journeying to London to 'dig in the crates' and find the holy grail of music. That sadly, is now lost by a trigger happy click. Unbelievably amazing to think of it like that!

A minority we may be, but sane we are!
:dualthumbup:
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF, Steinberg FDI & Analog 8
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, Soundpool M04, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders

Bobrane

Post by Bobrane » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:20 pm

Beautiful words, here. That speak to me.
:dualthumbup: :thanksyellow:

IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:08 am

I feel reassured, thank you :)