STE DUAL TOS BOARDS - ASSEMBLED - MAYBE ?

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

STE DUAL TOS BOARDS - ASSEMBLED - MAYBE ?

Post by exxos » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:57 pm

Now I have a UK firm who assemble stuff at a reasonable rate.. I am thinking of also listing assembled DUAL TOS boards in my store if there is demand...

Currently John cove has been listing assembled, but doesn't seem to be selling many, so not sure if his price is to high, or people just prefer to buy direct from my store (or just buy the kits).

It would mean a small "re-work" in my store.. Where I would sell 2 PCB options, assembled, or kit, and sell the ROM separately. I know some people wanted just the ROM but its not something I sell individually at the moment.

I already had the 4MB MMU RAM kits and Funky PLCC kits assemble din China (cost a fortune I might add!) . Though fedex shipping lumps costs in it all, plus import taxes etc, so while China is "cheap" by the time I get the thing, its not so cheap anymore.. :roll: So while a UK company "per board" is higher, I can get lower volumes done so I don't have to invest in multiples of £1,000 each time!

Things like the Falcon RAM boards, 030 RTC modules are starting to be assembled in the UK now. So its possible any "kit" could be assembled.. though of course has to be some sort of depend to warrant doing any assembly work.

I think overall its a good move anyway. It takes the workload off myself, I can get lower production runs done so I don't have to invest huge sums of cash into things, and people can actually buy more items assembled in my store. Then it leaves me with more time to work on firmware and new designs etc.. so think its win-win overall.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

kodak80

Re: STE DUAL TOS BOARDS - ASSEMBLED - MAYBE ?

Post by kodak80 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:21 am

Having both a kit and an assembled option is a great solution. Whilst I am developing my soldering skills, kit form is the cheaper option for me. I am sure that there are a number of people who have no soldering skills and so the assembled would mean you will sell more products. Especially if the assembled price is not too high.
Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards
Admin of Atari ST Review Magazine Archive: http://www.ataristreview.com

rubber_jonnie

Post by rubber_jonnie » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:47 am

exxos wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:57 pm
Now I have a UK firm who assemble stuff at a reasonable rate.. I am thinking of also listing assembled DUAL TOS boards in my store if there is demand...

Currently John cove has been listing assembled, but doesn't seem to be selling many, so not sure if his price is to high, or people just prefer to buy direct from my store (or just buy the kits).
The price of the assembled units is just about double that of the kits, so that may be why they aren't selling well, BUT I can understand why they are that price.

First off you have around 30-45 minutes soldering.

Then you need to test the unit, which is perhaps another 15 minutes, so that's maybe an hour, maybe a bit more in assembly and testing.

£25 for that hour is, IMHO, not very much for what amounts to a skilled piece of work.

However, I think there is a place for assembled units, but I think it likely they would sell more easily if the price was £35 rather than £49.95.

There will always be a place for the kits I think, as there are a lot of folks like me who enjoy the assembly task as much as anything else.

Ready assembled just needs a keen price point to pull in the non assemblers who want to just plug in the mod.

Not sure whether or not £35 is an achievable price point though.

Just my thoughts.
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ape Warp mod, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg) + Gotek, 1040STFM + Vortex ATOnce + Gotek, 1040STF long button floppy, 4160 STE with Gotek and ROM switcher, 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher and CosmosEx, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:54 pm

Yeah its tricky. I mean I have been charging £5-£10 to assemble and test and its hardly worth all the time involved. Like you say, if I did 50 boards, that's easily 50 hours.. which turns into a few weeks work. Its not practical to keep up, as while I am soldering, I'm not doing anything else. I'd rather be creative than spend all day every day soldering stuff.

I should charge £25+ but the higher the price, the less likely they will sell.. and as I have to order PCB's in like 100-200 batches normally to keep the price down, its a lot of stock I have to shift.

I think realistically it would be £15 higher assembled. So £40 total. Though like I Say, id be farming these out to be assembled, so I could get a few done and see how it goes.. gets worse value because of shipping parts and shipping back, so has to be taken into the final price as well.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

rubber_jonnie

Post by rubber_jonnie » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:52 pm

Yes, I guess £15 extra makes sense given the logistics etc, but I'm guessing that could still be a tricky price point, though definitely more workable than £50.
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ape Warp mod, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg) + Gotek, 1040STFM + Vortex ATOnce + Gotek, 1040STF long button floppy, 4160 STE with Gotek and ROM switcher, 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher and CosmosEx, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

Bobrane

Post by Bobrane » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:22 pm

Like Kodak80, my first choice would be the kit option to preserve 100% of the DIY pleasure. However, it would be great to have the choice when time is short or ... when you fail your own assembly. Ah ! Ah ! Ah !
:lol: