I fixed a printer!

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
DrF

I fixed a printer!

Post by DrF » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:05 am

A moment of great triumph I just had to tell someone :lol:

HP Laserjet had a paper jam, I cleared it, it still kept saying its got a jam, nothing in the printer... looked on toner drum the text was on the drum in toner wiped it off, the printer came back to life :D

I also managed to get the print manager thing to actually cancel a print job!
download.jpg
download.jpg (50.45 KiB) Viewed 311 times

exxos
Site Admin

Re: I fixed a printer!

Post by exxos » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:27 pm

Lucky you, I've had like 30 of those 8500 printers.. work great for a bit then die. I gave up with them and took last 2 down the tip even tho they were basically working still, thats how much I hate HP now :P
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

DrF

Post by DrF » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:53 pm

Laser printer only house this, no way i'm having a inkjet again the mess, the hassle, the cost.
I had a HP 6600 and a HP 7500 just before, they was ok, before that had loads of Epsons all kinds of ink systems just not going back.
The mono HP costs £6 a toner and they last a good year+ just printing text.
Bought a Ricoh mono laser as a backup to it still in box almost 2 years later.

I got a colour Dell 1250c I think it's some kind of budget Xerox inside, carts are like £20 ish a set prints loads and very good picture comparable to a inkjet for normal paper prints anyhow. Print loads of matt & gloss vinyl stickers on it. It's a bit battered now and bits hanging off I dread the day it gives in :(

I got a video of it clanking and banging and grinding away been doing that about 2 years :p
It also refuses to pick up card sheets unless you kinda put some weight on them and push a bit :lol:

Here it is decorated with some of the stickers that never made it :p
2.jpg
2.jpg (31.38 KiB) Viewed 291 times
1.jpg
1.jpg (33.74 KiB) Viewed 291 times
PS: There maple leafs :lol:

exxos
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:45 pm

Nice! are you pre-buying the sticky shapes and printing on those then ?
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

DrF

Post by DrF » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:42 am

exxos wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:45 pm
Nice! are you pre-buying the sticky shapes and printing on those then ?
No im buying cheap gloss or vinyl laser printer paper and using that the cost varies wildly.
The matt paper is not proper white it seems more ivory but once your printed on it you cant tell.
It was a pain finding decent proper laser printer compatible paper most say it is, but the toner cant stick to it.

What I tend to do is print on the gloss then use a can of lacquer and give them a few coats they hold up shockingly well to the outdoors i've got pics of some that have been outside in all our weather for about a year and there ok, the matt stickers don't tend to hold up as well they turn yellow and don't like laquer.

This is probably the cheapest alternative to getting a proper printing place to do proper vinyl die cuts.

Only problem is hand cutting them all out :lol:
I need to find a punch that can manage to cut this out ok.

The boring square/rectangle labels there printed on some Avery template rip off sticker paper.