Manky TT for sale on eBay.

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
stephen_usher

Re: Manky TT for sale on eBay.

Post by stephen_usher » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:22 pm

I did say that it looked like leaking battery damage from the images on eBay.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.

frank.lukas

Post by frank.lukas » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:24 pm

SCSI Port is done ...
scsiextern.jpg
scsiextern.jpg (982.06 KiB) Viewed 494 times
New must be: SCSI internal, Battery, Floppy internal, RTC and FDC Socket, ACSI, Floppy B and SCSI external and some Little Chips around the RTC/FDC Socket.

Atarian Computing

Post by Atarian Computing » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:29 pm

Nicely done. Looks promising.

Might as well do the RTC fix while you're at it.

Atarian Computing

Post by Atarian Computing » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:45 pm

Looks like there really isn't much corrosion on this side. The solder mask is good so traces are good. The bare (tinned) ground strip that goes around the board, and bare (tinned) area where the battery was are the only affected PCB parts on this side. And not badly at all.

Corrosion appears on some components in the vicinity of the damaged area. I would urge you to replace the RTC and FDC sockets as the battery alkaline can fester under the sockets.

For those who don't know, this is not acid damage, it's alkaline. It must be countered with acid. Vinegar is good for cleaning this.

mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:49 pm

Atarian Computing wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:45 pm
For those who don't know, this is not acid damage, it's alkaline. It must be countered with acid. Vinegar is good for cleaning this.
Also dont forget to do a final rinse with water, as you will now have an exess of acid on the board, which will have a similar effect to the alkaline melting ooze!

You may also want to check that DIN/VME RAM socket as the evil corrosive ooze stuff can creep UP terminals too :)

@Atarian: You seem VERY optimistic. This is the worst battery leakage damage I have ever seen in my life!

Anyway, good luck Frank :-D

Atarian Computing

Post by Atarian Computing » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:13 pm

mrbombermillzy wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:49 pm
Atarian Computing wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:45 pm
Also dont forget to do a final rinse with water, as you will now have an exess of acid on the board, which will have a similar effect to the alkaline melting ooze!

You may also want to check that DIN/VME RAM socket as the evil corrosive ooze stuff can creep UP terminals too :)

@Atarian: You seem VERY optimistic. This is the worst battery leakage damage I have ever seen in my life!

Anyway, good luck Frank :-D
All very true. Actually a very good point about the ST-RAM socket. Just like the resistor legs and the SCSI chip legs on the corner have a greenish coating, you can assume that it looks like that in the DIN socket. In fact, many TT problems arise from a similar DIN socket for the TT-Ram having bad or corroded connections. Only way to fix those for good is to replace the socket. Tuxie probably knows this the best.

I've witnessed amazing feats by fellow restorers that have just done stuff no sane person would dream to even want to attempt on severely corroded boards. This is very tame. So yeah, very optimistic about this even though I'm a pessimist.

Atarian Computing

Post by Atarian Computing » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:19 pm

Here are a couple of corroded PCB repair vidz:

frank.lukas

Post by frank.lukas » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:47 pm

SCSI intern2_markiert.jpg
SCSI intern2_markiert.jpg (858.39 KiB) Viewed 351 times
I have some problems, these oxidized sites do not accept solder ...

rubber_jonnie

Post by rubber_jonnie » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:00 pm

Is it possible to use a small needle to gently scrape away the oxidisation and open up the hole in the via?
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ape Warp mod, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg) + Gotek, 1040STFM + Vortex ATOnce + Gotek, 1040STF long button floppy, 4160 STE with Gotek and ROM switcher, 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher and CosmosEx, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

troed
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by troed » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:10 pm