Windows bashing

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
Petari
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Windows bashing

Post by Petari » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:21 pm

Criticizing M$ Windows is popular among Atari ST users, and I did not notice such threads here, so time to do something about :D
Just what happened couple minutes ago (and I seen it several times earlier) :

Wanted to copy 15 GB long file to Pen Drive - where is space for it. Windows 7 Ultimate said something like it is write protected, blah, blah. It was not, of course. The reason is that FAT32 allows max 4 GB long files (32 bit size data in file rec.) . Why such big company does not engage someone, who can fix this trivial thing ?
I formatted it to NTFS, what went fast and without problems (except that most of people has no clue what is what there) .
Copy started with 120 MB/sec speed. No way, that Pen Drive is not so fast, my USB2 is not so fast. Yep, now is 17 MB/sec, what is still good (I love Sandisk :D ) . So, why it starts so fast ? Because it goes in RAM cache first, and stupid Win calculates with it, not with what should - real write speed at USB port.
Oh noooo !!! It stays at 99% over minute ... Finally done ... And no, it is not Total Commander (what I use when want see transfer speed) - same is in Win Explorer. I think that it can be set to be better in TC ...

Btw. I have similar critic about work with floppies in little earlier Win. versions at my site. There are some silly things too.
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

Steve

Re: Windows bashing

Post by Steve » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:35 pm

Yeah, windows has its weird quirks. I honestly wish Linux would take over the PC world, funnily enough it is _games_ that drive the main OS these days. It is good that Linux has Steam now, it will just take time for more game support to come.
Falcon ct60e 060 - 256mb ram - phantom bus and dsp accel // Atari TT - Thunder and Storm IDE 64mb ram - Lightning VME - USB LAN - Ati Mach64 2mb // Atari STM 4160 - 4MB ram - 16Mhz exxos 1.5 booster - Ultrasatan

IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:15 pm

This might become true, since there are signs that Microsoft follows a long term strategy away from Windows as operating system. See the recent embracing of Linux and Open Source World in general, as well as the ignorance regarding the needs of their european customers (GDPR, etc.)

I personally use Windows solely because of the bigger software library, but I would rather prefer going all Linux to be honest. Same goes for my professional opinion: If it wasn't for the applications I would already have a decent amount of Linux Workstations in our environment...
Ingo :geek:

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

mrbombermillzy

Post by mrbombermillzy » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:11 pm

As an aside to what PPera was saying about pendrives...

If you remove a USB drive without telling W10 you want to eject, it stands a high chance of corrupting the drive.. fair enough. But if you actually properly eject the drive from W10 by right clicking on the drive icon in the bottom right, you will be told 'Its now safe to remove drive' or whatever.

However, about a second after this message, Ive noticed that windows acceses the drive again! WTF!?

I am aware of this deadly oversight, and wait a full 5 seconds before removing now, but the unaware average user looks set for corrupted data woes :o

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:26 pm

windows is terrible for floppies now..

What annoys me the most is when theres like 50K free on the disk, the PRG uses 100K, and when I try to copy GB6.PRG (100K) to the floppy, it says floppy full... but 100K of the same file isn't disk full, there would be still 50K free, but nope, windows won't have it, I have to delete the PRG first, then copy the new one :roll:
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

Petari
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by Petari » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:43 am

exxos wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:26 pm
What annoys me the most is when theres like 50K free on the disk, the PRG uses 100K, and when I try to copy GB6.PRG (100K) to the floppy, it says floppy full... but 100K of the same file isn't disk full, there would be still 50K free, but nope, windows won't have it, I have to delete the PRG first, then copy the new one :roll:
You talking about Win 10 ?
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:22 am

Petari wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:43 am
You talking about Win 10 ?
Win7 64bit.

Actually think it does the same with hard drives as well, like drive almost full and have 80GB backup file, I try to overwrite existing 80GB file and disk full... sure theres only 10GB free, but same filename should overwrite and only space calculated should be the difference between file sizes , then take away disk space.. but win7 calculation only takes disk space vs file size.. which isn't correct IMO.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

Petari
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by Petari » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:36 am

Huh ! I use same Win version, and never noticed it. With reason: I use Total Commander ! :idea:
With Explorer, it happened exactly as you said. Really pathetic.
So, and of course - folks, use Total Commander. Not only it does it better, it has plenty of useful options.

IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:38 am

IMHO thats not so much a matter of space calculation as of data security.

If you overwrite an existiting file, windows will first copy the new file, then delete the old file and rename the new file with the old filename. This is because if copying fails or is aborted, it will not have destroyed the original file. To circumvent that behaviour you would simply have to delete the original file irreversibly (Shift-Delete, no trashbin) first, and then copy the new one.
Ingo :geek:

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:52 am

I just have to press delete and it goes into the bin, then I can copy the files. I can understand your reasoning, but for me its just a annoyance.