Dropping sales concerns

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
Bama
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:00 pm

Re: Dropping sales concerns

Post by Bama » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:13 am

In my line of work, out sight is out of mind.

I wonder if your helpful posts and frequent presence on Atari Age and and Atari Forum were driving some of your sales?

That is where I learned that you are a trusted vendor and how to find your web store.

Bama

User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Posts: 2598
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Dropping sales concerns

Post by exxos » Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:38 am

Bama wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:13 am
In my line of work, out sight is out of mind.
I wonder if your helpful posts and frequent presence on Atari Age and and Atari Forum were driving some of your sales?
That is where I learned that you are a trusted vendor and how to find your web store.
It could be a factor yes. Though most seem to hang out on FaceBook these days. AF I gave up over a year ago, AA seems more 8bit stuff or other machines than ST range. So I don't think posting in those places really does much. Likely FB gets most viewers over forums anyway.

FB I do post now and then, but frankly get tired of my posts being hi-hacked with either stupid comments or questions, or just gets hi-jacked into something totally irrelevant or different topics. I can't navigate FB very well, threads just branch off into 20 different directions all the time. So generally I just don't bother to post there much anymore either.

True that "newcomers" likely won't know of my store , but if they really want to find something, its not like my stuff isn't plastered all over google etc. Sadly a lot of people come on FB with same questions over and over when my since has been online with the answers for years, and they couldn't find anything so asked on FB for help. Then thread gets lost and same question next week over and over.. while idea of this forum is to build a database of all such issues to help others in future.

I don't bombard FB with "adverts", if I did people start moaning I'm spamming, then back to all the sarcastic remarks and stupid comments again. So I just don't really bother with FB much these days either. If people want to follow my work, they should visit this forum. If they can't find my stuff, then they are not looking very hard.

I do see people mention my store on FB now and then which I am grateful for of course.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

Forgottenmyname
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:22 pm

Re: Dropping sales concerns

Post by Forgottenmyname » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:16 pm

If it helps, I found your store thanks to google.

and then secondly on some of the other forums, so I'd made my decision to buy before checking the other forums.

I know you don't have time but I used to like reading your blog frequently and wondered if others did the same. Has that had an effect on sales?

The silly questions you will never get away from, even coming from myself, sorry in advance :D

User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Posts: 2598
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Dropping sales concerns

Post by exxos » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:31 pm

Forgottenmyname wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:16 pm
I know you don't have time but I used to like reading your blog frequently and wondered if others did the same. Has that had an effect on sales?
I don't think my blog had huge visitors either. Think there was like 4 subscribers. Though my blog "expanded" over to this forum.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

User avatar
DrF
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:18 pm

Re: Dropping sales concerns

Post by DrF » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:54 pm

exxos wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:31 pm
Forgottenmyname wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:16 pm
I know you don't have time but I used to like reading your blog frequently and wondered if others did the same. Has that had an effect on sales?
I don't think my blog had huge visitors either. Think there was like 4 subscribers. Though my blog "expanded" over to this forum.
I would visit 3x a day, then we ended up here and it exploded so much in so little time was shocking :)

User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Posts: 2598
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Dropping sales concerns

Post by exxos » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:06 pm

DrF wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:54 pm
I would visit 3x a day, then we ended up here and it exploded so much in so little time was shocking :)
Yeah, I was expecting it to just be me here talking to myself all day like on my blog :lol:
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

User avatar
DrF
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:18 pm

Re: Dropping sales concerns

Post by DrF » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:22 pm

exxos wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:06 pm
DrF wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:54 pm
I would visit 3x a day, then we ended up here and it exploded so much in so little time was shocking :)
Yeah, I was expecting it to just be me here talking to myself all day like on my blog :lol:
I almost got banned from that blog... :p

fawlty.png
fawlty.png (364.83 KiB) Viewed 131 times

User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Posts: 2598
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Dropping sales concerns

Post by exxos » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:28 pm

:bravo: :lolbig:
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

Neffers
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:25 am
Location: West Yorks.
Contact:

Re: Dropping sales concerns

Post by Neffers » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:01 pm

@Exxos There was mention of peeps using other places for ROM's and the ilk. I'd just like to say that when I need this kind of service I shall not be going to other places for such things, only here. If I had the brass I'd go and grab means to burn a TOS ROM or whatever, but that would cost me an arm and a leg (I only have one of each left after raising a son for 18 years on a low income lol) to get the stuff together, and could result in many failures til success.

If there's issues it's not too long before you get back to people here, I have lurked enough to see you care about the stuff you do.

Whenever possible I give a shoutout to you and your store / forum.
Resident idiot. (Qualified, got a Diploma and everything)

User avatar
exxos
Site Admin
Posts: 2598
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 pm
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Dropping sales concerns

Post by exxos » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:17 pm

Neffers wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:01 pm
@Exxos There was mention of peeps using other places for ROM's and the ilk. I'd just like to say that when I need this kind of service I shall not be going to other places for such things, only here. If I had the brass I'd go and grab means to burn a TOS ROM or whatever, but that would cost me an arm and a leg (I only have one of each left after raising a son for 18 years on a low income lol) to get the stuff together, and could result in many failures til success.

If there's issues it's not too long before you get back to people here, I have lurked enough to see you care about the stuff you do.

Whenever possible I give a shoutout to you and your store / forum.
Yeah, retro computing isn't cheap stuff. People will look for the deals, I do it all the time, my store isn't going to be cheapest on some items. ROM's are a lot of competition really with ebay etc.. Though nobody there does work like I do, so I treat my "extra price" as a donation for my work. Though a lot of people don't really see it like that, only lower price.

Same issue with PSU's, I was first to start selling re-capped ones, then others started, sold for cheaper than me, and now I don't sell any PSU's, and I did all the work for it all. Those type of things annoy me a bit as its just basically ripping off someone else's work. I probably had around 200 machines over the years, So I can see common failures across machines and find common fixes.. All costs huge time and money, neither of which I will ever get back. If people want to sell re-capped PSU's, then they should do the research and work themselves and sell something which I haven't already got listed in my store.. then there really be no problem.. :roll:

Anyway, getting a bit off topic, of course there are many ways to support my efforts, people giving shout outs of course is something, directing people to my site for guides, kits etc.. then people who help out on the forum etc.. If people here can help people with issues, then it saves me a lot a time.. less time on forum = more hardware development time... it does not have to be about money..
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

Post Reply