"Retrobright" and the TT.

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
stephen_usher

"Retrobright" and the TT.

Post by stephen_usher » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:50 pm

Today I tried retrobrighting the top case and hard disk bay of my TT.

I used the "*Blonde" hair bleach product sold in Superdrug which is supposed to be the best stuff available over the counter in the UK.

The result was not as good as I'd hoped. Although it had generally brightened the plastic from "clotted cream" to "single cream" is didn't totally get rid of the yellowing. It also degraded slightly the colour of the undamaged bright white plastic.

The previously yellowed areas also showed a lot of variation in the colour, showing up the plastic flow lines.

Anyway, here's a picture showing the results. You can see the colour change if you compare the lower case to the upper. What the image doesn't show as well is the difference in tint between the top, which was hidden under the monitor plinth during the time is became light damaged, and the front. The top is more blue-grey whereas the front is more creamy.

stephen_usher

Re: "Retrobright" and the TT.

Post by stephen_usher » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:55 pm

P.S. The actual brightening happened within the first hour or so. Even though I re-applied the agent and left it out all day, turning it to follow the Sun, no more improvement was seen.