Importance of arrogance

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
Petari

Importance of arrogance

Post by Petari » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:31 am

I guess that everybody has experience with some arrogant people. Like arrogant boss at workplace - who asking about following the rules, while self breaks them whenever wants. Boss, who insulting workers regularly and similar. Boss, who demands that people work exactly how he ordered, while it could be done in much better way, but no, it must be just as he said - even if it is bad for productivity, efficiency. Why I talk this in one Atari retro computer forum ? Will see at end, that it may be explanation for some not good things happened.
I will give here some examples of arrogance, what I experienced in last 12 years in Atari ST retro waters, without names, only with some clue .
There was a crew dealing with Atari games cracking, patching - they came to 'revolutionary' idea - saving game states in middle of playing. Huh - but that was done many years ago for some computers - even myself done it for Sinclair Spectrum around 1986 - and save went on tape, not on some floppy - with little faster speed than original, still took some 2 minutes. Of course, with Atari ST it is much more complicated - much more HW state to save. When I did my version of statesaves, the boss of that crew accused me for stealing their code. Because I 'saving MFP state, like their code does' :lol: Sure, that was so hard to realize that must save all component's states to make it work at all (btw. simple look on code shows that it is complete other code, even whole approach was different, and I improved it couple years later) . Even more funny was comment of one of their fan: "why dealing with it, when crew xy made it best ?" . Sure, they did it so good, that it was impossible even for them self to improve it, so they abandoned whole activity about it :mrgreen: Or something else was in question ? I could give here many other examples of their arrogance, but then, this would be novel, not thread.

Author of Gemulator: I had some mailing with him. He originates from same region as myself. Worked at M$ at that time. Then, I mailed him about that something with floppy image handling could be done better - something really simple, just based on my experience. Then he replied like: "what is, you don't enjoy Gemulator ?" . Actually, in that time I used it less and less, since new, full emulators took over people's PCs. Gemulator was good with slower PCs. I replied with little more detailed explanation why correction in floppy code would be good. Then came the biggest arrogance I experienced from some Atari man - something like how I'm disrespectful, and he will put me on blacklist at e-mail server. And that before it he meant to help me getting job in USA :lol: Like I ever asked or mentioned it :D

Amiga people, for change: there is guy, who made some system, for faster Amigas, what allows some Atari ST games to be played on them, without rewriting complete game. Basically it converts output (screen) to Amiga screen, inputs too ... That's why faster machine is needed. It was in time, when I dealt with OIDS. I informed him, that that game can work smoother, faster with changes I do. Actually, I asked him about possible S source - to avoid possibly longer disassembly process. He was extremely arrogant right from start - with someone completely unknown. How using Devpac is so stupid, that he using much better tools, how that and it should be done that way, that everyone mailing him just wants to use his work and time, and like. I answered that this is not competition, I want S files - to avoid doing what is already done, and will give him improved game executable and S file of it, it he wants - to exchange. He never sent me any S files, so I went in that disassembling, and luckily it was easy - because object code was done in way that was no need for much additional corrections after Devpac MON disassembled it. At the end, I contacted him again, and sent him all it. Although, he really did not deserve it. But it's not about us 2 - we need to think wider - for community.

The mystery of Atari company bankrupt around 1993 is something what occupies Atari people still a lot. One of most popular themes at forums. Well, I'm sure that arrogance was one of very important factors in all it. This my assumption is based on errors in HW and SW, what I noticed in last decade. Those errors indicate in many cases that there was no good co work in company - better said companies - other one is DRI, of course. Like that Microwire mixer HW bug. Or whole FAT16 filesystem section of GEMDOS . Reading article of Landon Dyer at dadhacker : http://www.dadhacker.com/blog/?p=995 just confirms it.
And miracles happen sometime: he just replied me, and gave his e-mail address, after about 2 months from when I posted him message. (I came to idea to write this before his reply) . So, I hope that he will give little more info about some things about TOS development, for what I'm most interested.
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

exxos
Site Admin

Re: Importance of arrogance

Post by exxos » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:44 am

I think we all know people sux in a lot of cases, but really to open up a thread on it all ? I don't think anyone really wants to read about how crap other people may or may not be. Lets try and keep things more cheerful please ?
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - 4MB STE 32MHz - STFM 16MHz - STM - MEGA ST - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - HxC - CosmosEx - Ultrasatan - various clutter

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

Petari

Post by Petari » Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:02 pm

Sorry, I'm not entertainer. I gave some extreme examples - that's only tip of iceberg. 'People sux' - people on positions sux, those, who should be responsible and fair. That's the real problem. And it's part of Atari history, what was talked about at the end.
I don't think that most of people come here to cheer up self. People looking for answers, solutions, reasons. Don't you want to know what was behind of Atari bankrupt ?
There is 2 kind of people: one thinking about moving to Mars after here becomes too bad, the others thinking about how to keep this planet habitable.

stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:16 pm

I'm guessing that Atari's failure was Jack being rather rubbish and preferring quick and dirty fixes and shipping before ready. Oh, and the playing to the media rather than working hard.

I seem to remember some money squandering, the Jaguar being late and not having many games plus the arrival of the Playstation too. A perfect storm.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.