Spectre GCR "fun"

Atari talk, or the life and the universe and things. Just keep it clean!
stephen_usher

Spectre GCR "fun"

Post by stephen_usher » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:29 am

Seeing as I got the STE down to test a couple of games for people on here I also got the Spectre GCR cartridge down.

I've not tried to use it since the early 90s on my slightly upgraded 520STM (2.5MB RAM) with a Third Coast Technologies 27MB hard disk. Well, the hard disk died long ago (but not the case and ICD Advantage Plus host adapter).

Anyway, it still works, though I'm going to have to find another floppy cable as the original is temperamental to say the least. I've another couple up stairs so it's not a problem.

So, I boot into Mac mode and put into the drive what I thought was my Spectre format MacOS System 6 System Disk... but it won't boot. I then try the GCR encoded one... still no go. All very strange.

After a couple of hours trying everything I accidentally open the drive with the "Spectre" system disk in the drive and... a window opens with Atari files in it.

It seems that I reformatted all my Mac system disks in antiquity! *SOB*

vattari

Re: Spectre GCR "fun"

Post by vattari » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:58 pm

Hi Stephen,

I have a Magic Sac Plus at home but it is difficult to get the Mac system disks in the format I require.
I'm not sure if the custom formatted disks for the Spectre GCR will work with mine, but would it be possible to get a copy of those from you? Hopefully once I have a Mac 128 up and running, I can then use the Mac/Atari's serial port to download more software.

TIA,
Paul

stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:07 am

I'll see what I can do.

I'll have to clean up the System 6.0.8 disks as I got them off eBay and the System disk has some user files on it. I'll then probably transfer to Spectre format and then create floppy images you can write directly to disk. I don't know if Spectre format is the same as MagicSac format though, I fear not.

stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:08 pm

OK, here are the System 6.0.8 disk images in Spectre format in a gzipped tar file:

http://www.lingula.org.uk/~steve/macstu ... tre.tar.gz