Hi all,

I'm Troy from Ottawa, Canada!

My computer timeline would be something like this:

early 80's TRS-80 Model 1
mid 80's Coco 3
late 80's Mega 2
Mid 90's PC
Now My god what don't I use? :D

I have a pretty large collection of ST stuff (computers, monitors, expansion hardware, software) as I managed to acquire 2 massive collections a few years back. I also got a hold of that Mega 2 ST mentioned earlier and brought it back to life. My collection contains loads of old consoles like the NES, Genesis, Vectrex and more. I have computers of all kinds like the Apple IIe, Atari 800XL, DY4, and C64. I also have a couple of pinball machines as well. I even picked up a Firebee a few years back to mess around on! I ran a BBS back in the day (PC) and I'm running one again via telnet. Doing it all old school in pure DOS but with TCP/IP for mail running Desqview and RemoteAccess.

I do a lot of the repair work on things myself and I'm no stranger to a soldering iron. I usually believe if you want to have it running you should be able to repair it. I'm a programmer by day and I do like to experiment with programming on old machines using the old tools just to get a feel for it.
Smonson

Re: Gidday from Canada eh?

Post by Smonson »

Hi Troy, sounds like you're in your element!
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Welcome Troy,

Tell me, what do people do on BBs's these days? Back in the day it usef to be how we all got the latest "warez" but what sort of thing goes on these days?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Atarian Computing

Post by Atarian Computing »

Welcome, eh!
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

Welcome!

Ahh, RemoteAcess, that brings back memories... I used to run a small BBS for our local computer club back in the day. We even had ambitions to set up a regional board network similar to Fido-Net, but it never took off. I wonder if there is still a backup of it somewhere...
Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
jokker

Post by jokker »

Forgottenmyname wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:47 am Welcome Troy,

Tell me, what do people do on BBs's these days? Back in the day it usef to be how we all got the latest "warez" but what sort of thing goes on these days?
Ah not that much really, mostly it's for my own amusement to play some old door games and enjoy setting it all up. I know some other folks more active systems just to replicate the experience or show off some really impressive customization with more modern BBS type software.

I mean Fidonet exists still of sorts, and there are several other nets as well specializing in certain kinds of discussions and file distribution. RetroNET for example deals with retrogaming/retrocomputers.
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

jokker wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:06 am I mean Fidonet exists still of sorts, and there are several other nets as well specializing in certain kinds of discussions and file distribution. RetroNET for example deals with retrogaming/retrocomputers.
Cool, did not know that. A reason more to get my serial interface for the 800XL done... and then using it together with a Lantronix to get BBSing again ;)
Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
rcamp48

Post by rcamp48 »

Hey Troy if you are in Ottawa , can you fix a motherboard for me, I have a damaged Atari 1040 STE motherboard, if you are good with a soldering iron then maybe you can fix this mess, believe me its a mess, if you look under my heading , Hello from Canada there are pictures there I want to avoid re-posting them, it does have the Dual Tos switcher installed but only gives me a garbled screen. I wish I know what to do myself, but am worried that I might make it worse, David Hefner says that there are a few solder blobs on it , maybe thats what it is... Russ

Return to “INTRODUCE YOURSELF”