Hello from Indiana, USA

New user? Tell us about yourself!
bfollowell

Hello from Indiana, USA

Post by bfollowell »

Hello from across the pond.

OK, it's taken me almost 25 years, but I'm officially fed up with having my ST in the attic.

I was always an 8-bit guy. The STs came out when I was in college and, as much as I drooled over them, I just couldn't afford one. I bought two used STs in about '94, a 520ST and a 1040STF but never had a place to set them up. over the past 25 years or so I've moved them from one attic/basement/garage to the next. These days, if I need my 8-bit or 16-bit Atari fix, I typically play around through emulation. Still, it's killing me knowing I have these classic old machines sitting in a storage bin in the attic. My gaming desktop has a slide out keyboard tray, so there's room on the desk for my 1040STF. I've ordered an NEC MultiSync LCD 1970VX off ebay. Yes, that will have three LCDs on my desk, but this one will allow me to use all three resolutions of my ST.

Anyway, I'm really excited about getting my 1040STF up and running. It's yellowed and pretty dirty and lord knows what shape the caps are in. I seem to recall it was having floppy issues as well. I plan to do a full restoration and retr0brighting. I'm sure I'll be looking to this site for upgrades and parts before I'm all done.

I look forward to reading through the posts on here and learning from those that came before me.
8-bit - 800XL - 1050 w/Happy Mod - XF551 - SIO2PCUSB - Ultimate Cart - an assembled, but not quite 100% working  1088XEL & CF3 Dual, "new" filthy 600XL & 800XL winter repair & restoration projects, 400 restoration project
16-bit - 1040STF, TOS 1.4, Gotek - 4160STE, dual-TOS 1.62/2.06, Gotek - Ultrasatan - SF314 Drive - Golden Image Master 3A-1D Drive
Consoles - 2600 Vader - Lynx II
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Indiana, USA

Post by exxos »

:welcomewave:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

bfollowell wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:11 am Hello from across the pond.

OK, it's taken me almost 25 years, but I'm officially fed up with having my ST in the attic.

I was always an 8-bit guy. The STs came out when I was in college and, as much as I drooled over them, I just couldn't afford one. I bought two used STs in about '94, a 520ST and a 1040STF but never had a place to set them up. over the past 25 years or so I've moved them from one attic/basement/garage to the next. These days, if I need my 8-bit or 16-bit Atari fix, I typically play around through emulation. Still, it's killing me knowing I have these classic old machines sitting in a storage bin in the attic. My gaming desktop has a slide out keyboard tray, so there's room on the desk for my 1040STF. I've ordered an NEC MultiSync LCD 1970VX off ebay. Yes, that will have three LCDs on my desk, but this one will allow me to use all three resolutions of my ST.

Anyway, I'm really excited about getting my 1040STF up and running. It's yellowed and pretty dirty and lord knows what shape the caps are in. I seem to recall it was having floppy issues as well. I plan to do a full restoration and retr0brighting. I'm sure I'll be looking to this site for upgrades and parts before I'm all done.

I look forward to reading through the posts on here and learning from those that came before me.
Welcome, there are a few of us form this side of the pond, at least four that I've seen. Most likely more. We range from the right coast to the left coast and in-between!
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Welcome..... 4 monitors here if you don't count the laptop :D
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

Return to “INTRODUCE YOURSELF”