BlankVector's introduction

New user? Tell us about yourself!
BlankVector

BlankVector's introduction

Post by BlankVector »

Hi all, I'm Vincent Rivière from France.
I was a happy STe user in the nineties. Later I was interested by GCC, FreeMiNT, FireBee, EmuTOS and other stuff.
Thanks to Exxos and other people to keep Atari hardware alive :)
Subscribe to my Vretrocomputing channel on YouTube and Facebook. Latest video: Disable the key click in assembly language on Atari ST.
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BlankVector's introduction

Post by IngoQ »

BlankVector wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:54 pm Hi all, I'm Vincent Rivière from France.
Hi Vincent and welcome to the forum :)
BlankVector wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:54 pm Later I was interested by GCC
GCC? As in the Gnu C Compiler? I wasn't aware there was a GCC for Atari... on the other hand... how else would MinT come into beeing :mrgreen: Did you write software with it or where you involved in the GCC port itself?
Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
rpineau

Post by rpineau »

Bienvenue Vincent.
Rodolphe
Working ones : MegaSTE (68020) / TT030 / Falcon with AB040 & Eclipse / 1040STF
Need testing : Falcon with CT2
BlankVector

Post by BlankVector »

IngoQ wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:23 pm GCC? As in the Gnu C Compiler?
Yes, that one ;)
IngoQ wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:23 pmI wasn't aware there was a GCC for Atari... on the other hand... how else would MinT come into beeing :mrgreen:
I don't know which compiler was used to compile first versions of MiNT, but I would bet it was not GCC at that time.

Anyway, GCC 2.x has been ported to FreeMiNT around year 2000 by Guido Flohr and Frank Naumann. In 2007, I have published my work on GCC 4.x. It was mainly a port of old patches to newer GCC, as well as cross-compiler binaries (i.e. use a PC to compile Atari software). Later, other people used my updated patches to produce a native GCC 4.x running on MiNT. It works fine, but requires several megabytes of RAM. Personally, I prefer to use the cross-compiler, which produces the same result.

You can see the whole story on my m68k-atari-mint cross-tools web page.

To answer your question, I have recompiled quite a lot of software for FreeMiNT (mainly GNU/Linux command-line software), but I didn't write much code myself.
Subscribe to my Vretrocomputing channel on YouTube and Facebook. Latest video: Disable the key click in assembly language on Atari ST.

Return to “INTRODUCE YOURSELF”