Hello from Sunny Queensland Australia

New user? Tell us about yourself!
Danoo

Hello from Sunny Queensland Australia

Post by Danoo »

G'day to all,

As per the subject title, I am from SE Queensland in Australia. I live on a small acreage about 100 k from Brisbane, so I have some space to feed my computer addiction :D (well that is what the wife is always saying). She may have her finger on the pulse as one of my sheds on the property is been converted into a computer hobby den (12 x 6 m of modern and retro equipment).

My background is in electronics and power generation. I have repaired and maintained all sorts of equipment from engine monitoring, radar, sonar and communication systems to your everyday toaster in the kitchen. I spent a number of years on various ships in the RAN, hence have been exposed to a very broad spectrum of both power generation/distribution and electronic systems.

In the last four years I have been studying electrical engineering at USQ. Started with a bachelor in power electrical engineering, but have change the major to computer systems. Have completed 24 of 32 subjects with great results. Unfortunately have had to put my studies on hold for now as my wife has contracted a auto-immune disease, and finding time for study between caring, maintaining the acreage and my hobbies is difficult.

Started fiddling with computers when I was 17, started with a Dick Smith system 80 (Tandy TRS I clone based on a Z80 processor) in 1980.
The bug has been with me ever since then. Will not even attempt to go through all the systems that have passed by since then.

Mainly joined the board to follow the development of the TF products, this is my focus ATM in the retro scene as I have about dozen different Amiga machines in the shed.

That is enough of war and peace for today

cheers,
Dan
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated - Confucius
Danoo

Re: Hello from Sunny Queensland Australia

Post by Danoo »

Hi sety,
Spent about 2 years in the West mate could never get use to the sand :D

My apologies, I made a quick edit on my initial post, saw a typo, TRS 80 II should have been TRS 80 I and now the initial post has disappeared awaiting approval. I should have considered this before editing the post, sorry for creating extra work for the moderators :oops:

cheers,
Dan
kodak80

Post by kodak80 »

Welcome Dan

Good to hear from another local Queenslander.
Atari Falcon 030 | Atari 1040 STE | Atari 1040 STFM | Atari 1040 STF | Kryoflux & Supercard Pro Flux boards
Creator of the Atari ST Review magazine archive: https://www.chillichai.com/atari-st-review
Tomswork

Post by Tomswork »

Greeting from canada

Tom
Danoo

Post by Danoo »

Hiya, kodak80 and Tomswork
thanks for the welcome messages 8-)
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

Hi Danoo, nice to see another Strayan on here. Once we reach 51% we can stage a coup. I'm in Canberra.

I'm very jealous of your shed!
Danoo

Post by Danoo »

Hi Smonson,

Thanks for the welcome, the shed is still a work in progress, fully lined, lab workbenches in place and air conditioning fitted :). Still fairly chaotic inside, I just have too many projects, and why is there only 24 hrs in a day :crazy:

Nearly tread on a brown snake on my way there last night, talk about a heart stopper :shock:, only about a 15 meter walk from the house to the shed along a concrete path, the thing was at the bottom of the house steps and was in no rush to get out of the way. :roll:
Danoo

Post by Danoo »

Smonson wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:17 pm Once we reach 51% we can stage a coup. I'm in Canberra.
A colonial coup :smoke:, we will probably need some assistance from our Canadian and Kiwi colleagues :mrgreen: :lol:
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

Danoo wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:24 pm Nearly tread on a brown snake on my way there last night, talk about a heart stopper :shock:, only about a 15 meter walk from the house to the shed along a concrete path, the thing was at the bottom of the house steps and was in no rush to get out of the way. :roll:
Can you leave me some STs in your will? :)

Return to “INTRODUCE YOURSELF”