Lets introduce myself

New user? Tell us about yourself!
wietze

Lets introduce myself

Post by wietze »

Ola hombres,

Ive been around the forum for a while, but have generally shun these kinds of introduce yourself areas of the forum. But what do you know.... my posts still require approving, so perhaps posting here makes a change in this; talking about extrinsic motivation :).

Im Wietze, Im from the lowlands and I've started getting back to microcomputers, and Atari with main focus in around 2013. Ive mainly been doing stuff in the context of the demoscene as spkr/smfx, but well; since Im collecting the microcomputers; they either need modifications to use on modern displays, or they need modification to enhance use beyond the `cumbersome 80's- way of use', or if you tend to pile up stuff like me; they end up needing repairs.

So apart from doing coding as a main focus, I have started to more get into the hardware side of things, I think the past 2 years or something. And moving from doing a memory upgrade on an 8 bit machine, to now seeing if I can repair not-properly working Atari ST's and even scrounging parts to build a H4 board.

I guess thats about it for an introduction. If you got questions, feel free to ask of course.
Kind regards,
Wietze
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Lets introduce myself

Post by Icky »

:welcomewave:
Tomswork

Post by Tomswork »

:welcomewave:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Good luck with the H4, we expect pictures when it's working :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Or pictures not working and on fire is also acceptable :fire: :fire: :fire:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
wietze

Post by wietze »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:02 pm Good luck with the H4, we expect pictures when it's working :)
Of course, Im very slow with these things, and currently awaiting the SMD components to start off with!
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

wietze wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:24 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:02 pm Good luck with the H4, we expect pictures when it's working :)
Of course, Im very slow with these things, and currently awaiting the SMD components to start off with!
That's a great place to start, and something I will apply on my 2nd build. On the first I built as I had stuff available, but it was a lesson I had to learn.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
JezC

Post by JezC »

:swave:

Welcome on board!

Good luck with your H4 build...I'm still trying to gather up the last parts ready to finish it off... :roll:
wietze

Post by wietze »

Hi there guys,

I recently obtained a diagnostics cartridge to troubleshoot some of the broken hardware I have. Since a few months I have been practicing my soldering skills; and I intended to apply them with the intent to repair some broken Atari's (I have 2 dead STF's and 1 dead Mega); as well as building up that H4 I mentioned in my initial post (which now turns out to be a H5 board :)).

After some effort, I am now able to read from RS232 while booting with the diagnostic cartridge; and Im at the point where I want to make sense of the information the diagnostics cartridge provides. Considering Im fairly novice in this area, I did some searches both on this forum and on the internet, to see if there is some kind of introduction to using the diagnostics cartridge.

I have found the manual for the diagnostics software; but Ive not yet become wiser as to how to apply the information into further diagnosis.
I have found the related motherboard schematics, and Im wondering what my next steps should be. And Im hoping that some of the knowledgable members here have the patience to get me going.

I will open up a topic for one of the STF machines in the hardware forum to start with, to see how that goes!

Kind regards,
Wietze
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

We have a section for using the cart etc https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewforum.php?f=91
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.

Return to “INTRODUCE YOURSELF”