Hello from Australia (ex-UK)

New user? Tell us about yourself!
Steve

Hello from Australia (ex-UK)

Post by Steve »

Hi all,

I got an Atari STE 1040 for christmas in sometime near 1990. I was about 8 years old, and enjoyed the whole 'gaming pack' it was so famous for. I distinctly remember playing overlander, exterminator, nebulus etc. Later we got ninja turtles :) After that the machine stopped working and I got a megadrive in 1991 and stopped playing Atari. Years passed, from being 8 years old to being 15 years old. My Dad finally fixed the Atari since it just turned out to be a fuse in the PSU, and I started to re-learn the world of Atari. My Dad had hundereds of ST Format magazines and coverdisks, I spent a very long time going through all of these like a treasure trove. I remember F112 stealth fighter being my favourite game of this time period, being older and more patient I could appreciate the skill of a flight sim. Then afterwards, I sold my STE to a music school for 100 pounds to put towards a new PC :)

This is my childhood history of Atari. I remember reading about the Falcon and TT, Magic and Mint etc. Now I'm 'grown up' and have more money than I had when I was 15, I have bought my dream machines, the Falcon and TT. I basically now focus on restoring them by re-capping the motherboards and making the best hardware modifications. My Falcon has a ct60e, exxos clock patch and exxos RTC module. My TT has the exxos PSU re-cap kit and an STE noise/dac fix I haven't fitted yet. My TT also has the awesome Thunder/Storm combination by Ingo giving it up to 256mb ram and IDE hard drive. I also have a custom made ET4000 graphics card built by Frank Lukas.

Chris/Exxos was one of the most important people for getting me back into Atari. He educated me along the way with many emails, with everything I wanted to do. Chris was patient and helpful always, I never felt like I was annoying him or anything. If it wasn't for his help I probably would have given up, which is why I always support his knowledge, advice and mods on all forums and public places.

Anyways, I grew up in the UK and now live in Australia. I often talk to Mikro who is in Australia too, he also is an Atari legend who has done a lot of great software work throughout the years. I really appreciate all the awesome people in the community as well.

Well, thats me. :)

Obligitory Falcon desktop screenshot:
(800x600 256 colours stock videl graphics with Centscreen driver, Mint and Teradesk, ct60e, 256mb RAM)
IMG_20171008_225457.jpg
IMG_20171008_225457.jpg (5.07 MiB) Viewed 2666 times
Obligitory TT desktop screenshot:
(1024x768 256 colours ET 4000 graphics, Mint and Teradesk, Thunder IDE and Storm 64mb RAM)
IMG_20171008_225712.jpg
IMG_20171008_225712.jpg (2.47 MiB) Viewed 2666 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello from Australia (ex-UK)

Post by exxos »

Steve wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:34 pm ...My Dad finally fixed the Atari since it just turned out to be a fuse in the PSU, and I started to re-learn the world of Atari. My Dad had hundereds of ST Format magazines and coverdisks, I spent a very long time going through all of these like a treasure trove. I remember F112 stealth fighter being my favourite game of this time period, being older and more patient I could appreciate the skill of a flight sim. Then afterwards, I sold my STE to a music school for 100 pounds to put towards a new PC :)
:welcomewave:

Sounds like me, did not have much money "back in the day". At the time I was basically in a crowed of PC people, so ended up with a PC for a while. Later due to lack of funds, I regrettably had to sell most of my Atari gear :( I kept my falcon and some other machines thankfully!

Steve wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:34 pm This is my childhood history of Atari. I remember reading about the Falcon and TT, Magic and Mint etc. Now I'm 'grown up' and have more money than I had when I was 15,
More money like others in recent times, get to fill in the childhood "gaps" :)
Steve wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:34 pm Chris/Exxos was one of the most important people for getting me back into Atari. He educated me along the way with many emails, with everything I wanted to do. Chris was patient and helpful always, I never felt like I was annoying him or anything. If it wasn't for his help I probably would have given up, which is why I always support his knowledge, advice and mods on all forums and public places.
Glad I could help. Its one reason i started this forum as all my emails to others would ultimately help other people with similar questions.
Steve wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:34 pm Anyways, I grew up in the UK and now live in Australia.
What was the reason for the move ? You might have told me before :lol:
Steve wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:34 pm Obligitory Falcon desktop screenshot:
:bravo:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Steve

Re: Hello from Australia (ex-UK)

Post by Steve »

Well you know the reason I left was due to a few reasons. But the main one was that I had finished the rollercoaster of studying, secondary school > college > uni etc, and with the abject poverty I was living in decided to move as soon as I graduated. I have to say Australia gives a much better lifestyle and opportunities, I don't regret the move (apart from postage for retro goodies) :)

Return to “INTRODUCE YOURSELF”