Forum Found

New user? Tell us about yourself!
Bikerbob

Forum Found

Post by Bikerbob »

Well, I had been to the Exxos site for a while, but I did not even notice the forum.

So I have signed up.

I have been an owner of an ST for a while, but have only just got it out and working on it.

520ST - that I will sell if I can find anyone who wants it.

520STFM now with TOS 1.04 and 4mb marpett in it. PSU changed to PICO - Might sell it.

4mb MEGA STE - on its way to me as I write this.. hope to have it in my hands next week. VERY EXCITED.

I have a GOTEK with FF firmware, I have a micro cosmos, OH and a NEC 1970VX multisync that does all three modes! LOVE IT!

Now, trying to get online.. so mostly thinking about that.. but when the STE gets here.. i will re-do the setups there.

James
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Forum Found

Post by exxos »

Bikerbob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:39 pm Well, I had been to the Exxos site for a while, but I did not even notice the forum.
:welcomewave:
Bikerbob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:39 pm So I have signed up.
:bravo:
Good plan ;) This is the forum where its all happening ;)

Bikerbob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:39 pm 4mb MEGA STE - on its way to me as I write this.. hope to have it in my hands next week. VERY EXCITED.
Ooooo lucky devil :) Any plans for its new home ?
Bikerbob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:39 pm Now, trying to get online.. so mostly thinking about that.. but when the STE gets here.. i will re-do the setups there.
ahh yes, cosmos is a cool bit of kit :) I like the wireless networking to my PC, though still tend to use floppies for some odd reason :lol:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

exxos wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:44 pm Good plan ;) This is the forum where its all happening ;)
Well it does seem like an excellent place to have hardware talk, and from what I have read so far, people here tend to talk a bit more - in the idea that if I ask a question, I tend to get an answer that does not expect me to be a hardcore 25 year ST veteran or coder or logic programmer. So thats nice! :? :)
Bikerbob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:39 pm 4mb MEGA STE - on its way to me as I write this.. hope to have it in my hands next week. VERY EXCITED.
exxos wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:44 pm Ooooo lucky devil :) Any plans for its new home ?
Well, yes, I did also post on the MEGA STE facebook group - but really what I want to know now.. is there anything I should check out right away? Should I just plug in? or check the PSU FIRST? or are there anything inside I need to look for? I guess taking some compressed air and blowing out the insides is a good step. I will going from 220v to 110v on the psu. I am wondering if I will be able remove the SCSI drive and install the cosmos inside? or would I want to??
Bikerbob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:39 pm Now, trying to get online.. so mostly thinking about that.. but when the STE gets here.. i will re-do the setups there.
exxos wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:44 pm ahh yes, cosmos is a cool bit of kit :) I like the wireless networking to my PC, though still tend to use floppies for some odd reason :lol:
Yes as I learn I am enjoying the cosmos a lot. I use the wireless to my network as well. I have not setup a shared drive yet, I have gotten the CE_STiNG driver to work.. so thats cool.

I find several tools for taking an image of a HDD and writing it to a SD(or Micro) card.. but I dont find much that will IMAGE an SDcard that was used as an HDD in a cosmos. For example I would like to backup the HDD on my microsd card.. then I could mess with the setup.. but if I want to I can just copy the image back to the SD card that I had as a backup.. and I am back to where I was.

Thanks all.. and thanks for the welcome Chris.

James
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Bikerbob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:07 pm Well it does seem like an excellent place to have hardware talk, and from what I have read so far, people here tend to talk a bit more - in the idea that if I ask a question, I tend to get an answer that does not expect me to be a hardcore 25 year ST veteran or coder or logic programmer. So thats nice! :? :)
:lol: we have a good mix of people on here, all skill levels, and some skilled people to translate what I am talking about, which also help sometimes :lol:

Bikerbob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:39 pm is there anything I should check out right away? Should I just plug in? or check the PSU FIRST? or are there anything inside I need to look for? I guess taking some compressed air and blowing out the insides is a good step. I will going from 220v to 110v on the psu.
I don't know much about the MSTE personally, I never owned one :( but I can say I would recommend recapping the power supply at some point.

Bikerbob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:39 pm For example I would like to backup the HDD on my microsd card.. then I could mess with the setup.. but if I want to I can just copy the image back to the SD card that I had as a backup.. and I am back to where I was.
Would assume that as long as you format as DOS compatible, good use any PC software to copy or restore images ? Probably question to put to Jookie..
Bikerbob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:39 pm Thanks all.. and thanks for the welcome Chris.
Thanks for stopping by, hope you find some interesting things on here :)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Smonson

Post by Smonson »

Bikerbob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:07 pm
exxos wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:44 pm Good plan ;) This is the forum where its all happening ;)
Well it does seem like an excellent place to have hardware talk, and from what I have read so far, people here tend to talk a bit more ...
It's great isn't it - I'm really enjoying being part of this new community. A very approachable place :dualthumbup:

Thanks Exxos for providing the forum and, well, a signifigant percentage of the content :D
Sausageinabun

Post by Sausageinabun »

Hi Bikerbob,

Enjoy your Mega STE, I'd love one, but then there are a lot of machines that I'd still like to get, and I have so many already that I really need a bigger house to hold them all :-)

I'm very new to the Atari scene, and I found myself here through a mention of Exxos from a You Tube vid I was watching, and I'm very pleased to be here :-)

My STE will hopefully be getting a PSU recapped this weekend with a kit I bought from Chris, if I manage to get to it. I have a lot on the go at the moment!
A train station is where the train stops. A bus station is where the bus stops. On my desk, I have a work station...
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

Well I am not so much a collector as a "player" by that I mean I enjoy playing with the hardware.. what can it do.. what can I make it do.. how do I get it to do more or something different.

I was an original atari kid. 10 years old 1978 I got an atari 400 (still have it) about 10 years later I did get a 520stfm - but really did not use it much, I was hvy into the 8-bit scene and kind of like the win95 vs XP people I did not see a reason to go ST.. 8-bit is great! :)

Anyway.. jump now.. I am pushing 50 and i wanted to play more, 2 years ago I got the 8-bits going again.. and in that got a deal for an 520stfm again.. but the monitor blew out 2 weeks into that.. and its been siting now for a year and a half, but during that time I bought upgrades and kits of this and that waiting for the day I find time to do it.. that was 2 months ago.. and I have been playing since.

Thats when I decided, if I am going to play with the ST, might as well get the grail, play with that.. and I am good. Everyone I talked to said.. Falcons and TTs are nice.. but the grail is the Mega STE. So I started looking.. and found what I consider a great deal out of Germany 180EUR for computer and keyboard - no monitor, because shipping the monitor would have doubled the price. It should be in my hands next week. I am very excited.

James
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

Bikerbob wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:53 pm and found what I consider a great deal out of Germany 180EUR for computer and keyboard - no monitor, because shipping the monitor would have doubled the price. It should be in my hands next week. I am very excited.
Damn, congrats! That IS a nice deal... I am looking for one for quite a while now, but they were always much more expensive here in Germany.
Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

IngoQ wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:17 pm
Bikerbob wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:53 pm and found what I consider a great deal out of Germany 180EUR for computer and keyboard - no monitor, because shipping the monitor would have doubled the price. It should be in my hands next week. I am very excited.
Damn, congrats! That IS a nice deal... I am looking for one for quite a while now, but they were always much more expensive here in Germany.
Keep and eye on ebay IngoQ, that one I bought from Germany :( Sorry. Germany has by far the largest stash of Mega STEs.

That being said.. if you really want what I think is a good clean one - there is a guy on facebook right now selling a MEga STE out of Italy. It would be much cheaper and easier to ship to you.

James
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

Thanks for the tip :) I just bought a new scope, so my pocket money is gone ;) But I am sure one day having unused spare money and finding a nice Mega STE will coincide ;)
Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |

Return to “INTRODUCE YOURSELF”