Questions regarding a 4mb update on 1040STF, motherboard C070523-001 REV. C

Upgrade your RAM from ST to Falcon.
Globox

Re: Questions regarding a 4mb update on 1040STF, motherboard C070523-001 REV. C

Post by Globox »

Don't really think that's it?
Tested the atari before the upgrade and everything worked fine.
I'm using an LCD screen with vga adaptor, and that screen, with the same cable and vga adaptor still work on my other atari.
Could there maybe be something on the board that broke?
I have a multimeter so I hope it's something I can figure out...
I already checked if I maybe burnt the resistors with the de- and re-soldering, but they still work.
Also, do you know what the keyboard LED not lighting up means?
Like I said, same keyboard works fine on the other Atari, so it's got to have something to do with what went wrong with the upgrade....
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

These machines are very fragile, they can break very easily. All I can suggest is you either try a diagnostic cartridge or send you machine to @Steve to diagnose the problem for you.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

To back up what @exxos said, the boards are becoming increasingly fragile these days, and manhandling them, for example putting pressure on the MMU and Shifter sockets may have caused another mechanical problem, such as a hairline fracture in a trace or via.

I'd suggest that you try this too for the MMU socket: https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... hilit=plcc

Inserting the MMU adapter can have an effect on the socket connectors and removing it can mean poor contact, this is the way to get them back to how they should be, and should also be used on the GLUE too.

I'd also suggest looking at using the multimeter to trace lines between the MMU and CPU, make sure there are no breaks. I plugged something into my Mega 4 and broke 2 data lines. I couldn't tell you why they were broken, just the act of plugging something in broke them. Probably a hairline fracture between the CPU and the next via in the trace. Fixed with bodgewire.

I personally recommend a diag cart, they are invaluable, especially when used with a serial cable because the ST shows nothing on screen.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Globox

Post by Globox »

Hmm, alright I'll get out the multimeter tonight with my roommate, he knows more about electronics.
If we can't find anything, diagnostics cartridge it is... (probably getting one anyway, can come in handy in the future as well)
Also, could a bad job on making the shifter adapter be the cause?
My soldering isn't great but there's definitely no bridges or something, I'm worrying touching the iron to the adapter during soldering maybe did something?
Can I maybe test the shifter adapter with a multimeter? I suppose the diagnostics cartridge can't be used for that...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Globox wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:16 pm Hmm, alright I'll get out the multimeter tonight with my roommate, he knows more about electronics.
If we can't find anything, diagnostics cartridge it is... (probably getting one anyway, can come in handy in the future as well)
Also, could a bad job on making the shifter adapter be the cause?
My soldering isn't great but there's definitely no bridges or something, I'm worrying touching the iron to the adapter during soldering maybe did something?
Can I maybe test the shifter adapter with a multimeter? I suppose the diagnostics cartridge can't be used for that...
Its certainly worth checking the Shifter adapter for shorts using the MM in continuity mode. If you have a magnifying glass or microscope, all the better, because you just don't know, there could be a tiny whisker or ball of solder that's causing it all.

Diag cart will be fine for normal stuff, but can't diagnose specifics on the Shifter adapter, though it may show problems with data/address lines that could be tracked back there.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
Steve

Post by Steve »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:30 pm I'd suggest that you try this too for the MMU socket: https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... hilit=plcc
@Globox I highly recommend you start with this as jonnie suggested. This always happens when inserting/removing that device from the MMU. The inside pins get bent and lose their spring. Just carefully take it out, clean the contacts on the chip and socket with IPA, then do as the post guide says.
Globox

Post by Globox »

Oh ok so when the upgrade is lifted out of the mmu socket, chances are great the connection with the MMU chip is now lost?
Really hope this is the problem then, sounds like a very easy fix!
But I guess that wouldn't explain why the upgrade didn't work, as it seems like it's pretty difficult for the thing to not make contact when there's the pins of the 4mb upgrade also jammed in the socket.
I'll also check the upgrade pcb with my multimeter!
Already checked with strong magnifying glass for possible bridges and I can't find any!
Also, still don't really know what's up with the top right LED on the keyboard not working when it's connected to the faulty Atari.
Are there any known problems that might cause this?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Removing the MMU adapter doesn't generally cause bad connections to the MMU. You can adjust the socket pins as in a guide by @rubber_jonnie if in doubt. But all problems tend to be bad connections or bad soldering jobs. But these machines are 30+ years old now, things break very easily. Its why we developed a new motherboard.

I would suggest putting your machine back to stock and reconnect the ram resistors. You can test the shifter adapter with out the MMU board plugged it.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Globox

Post by Globox »

Globox wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:51 am Ok so i turned on my atari, and something must have gone wrong...
The Atari turns on, but my monitor gets no signal...
On the keyboard, the bottom left LED lights up, but the top right one doesn't. (when turning it on, it flashes very briefly and dim)
I tried to put everything back the way it was, so i soldered the resistors back into place, took the mods out, and put the shifter chip back into place, but that doesn't really fix it.
Now my monitor does get a signal, but it says the signal is not supported.
Already put it back to stock, led on keyboard still not working.
Monitor does get a signal from the Atari after putting it back to stock, but the monitor says signal is not supported.
Like I said, I tested the Atari before doing the upgrade, and it worked, so that means that if the connections on the MMU socket are bad, it's either because of something I did with the upgrade, or the problem's got nothing to do with the mmu socket at all...
Globox

Post by Globox »

But the top right led (for floppy i think?) not working, and still not working after going back to stock doesn't ring a bell to anyone?

Return to “RAM UPGRADES”