Atari 1040 4MB RAM upgrade problems

Upgrade your RAM from ST to Falcon.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Atari 1040 4MB RAM upgrade problems

Post by exxos »

kmcrainey wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:18 pm As for the underside of the board, I do have some scratches. Would this cause a problem? What can I do to correct this?
It makes me want to ask the question , was the machine working in the first place ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Tomswork

Post by Tomswork »

Just looking at the pictures there seams to be alot of tension on the socket. And alot of corrosion what type of flux are you using

Tom
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

You really need to look at the Shifter. You have a row of bent pins on the left of the Shifter itself in your photo of the adapter board. Regardless of there being continuity, it is really bad practice to let chip legs get bent like that as they can actually be folded under the chip and not in the socket properly.

BTW I don't think they are scratches, more like pen marks from the factory. Try cleaning with IPA to see if they clean off, and if not check the track continuity with a multimeter.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

I agree with @rubber_jonnie , it lookslike at least 5 pins aren't in that socket correctly, so remove the shifter, straighten the pins and reinsert them.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Tomswork

Post by Tomswork »

@PhilC
@rubber_jonnie

Is the shifter socket on the motherboard a single contact or double wipe it looks like the adapter pins are pushing to the outside of the socket

Tom
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Tomswork wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:56 pm @PhilC
@rubber_jonnie

Is the shifter socket on the motherboard a single contact or double swipe it looks like the adapter pins are pushing to the outside of the socket

Tom
I think it's a double wipe socket, and I've never encountered a single wipe on an ST, even my 520ST. I agree, although the board appears correctly assembled, I think the pins are pushing outwards and it may be having an effect on the pin contact in the socket. It could even be going outside the outer wipe.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

It more than likely that the pins are bent inwards as I'm sure you guys have seen, so may be making contact but only by touch and not insertion.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PhilC wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:56 am It more than likely that the pins are bent inwards as I'm sure you guys have seen, so may be making contact but only by touch and not insertion.
Are you referring to where the adapter plugs into the Shifter socket, or where the Shifter plugs into the adapter?

TBH I don't like the look of either and think both should be remedied prior to further troubleshooting, as the black screen with a border usually means no RAM detected.

I'd even be inclined to revert back to the onboard RAM to verify that the ST is actually working.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 12:59 pm I'd even be inclined to revert back to the onboard RAM to verify that the ST is actually working.
I think that is probably a good idea, refit those uplifted resistors, remove the RAM board, no need to mess with the shifter board at all as it is just a breakout board anyway.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@rubber_jonnie I was talking shifter chip into adaptor board

But agree, forget that and get it running without to see if it still works.

Return to “RAM UPGRADES”