Dualtos with UBE switch issues

Upgrade or replace the ROM.
olivier.jan

Dualtos with UBE switch issues

Post by olivier.jan »

Hi,
I have a DUALTOS with UBE switch in one of my STEs and recently it stopped switching TOS. I can press RESET for 5 seconds or more, TOS 2.06 is always selected after reboot whatever I do.
I checked today and can’t find any obvious issue, RESET is properly connected and I can see it with a scope on Pin 5 of the ATTINY85, there is proper 5V and GROUND and when I disable the UBE switch, I can switch TOS using the jumper.
Is there anyway to troubleshoot a bit more like serial or other on the ATTINY85?

Olivier
Retro stuff
520 STF/ 1040 STE / Mega ST / 2 Mega STE / 2 H5
2 x 600XL with U1MB /SOFIA 2/ AVG CART / and a few 1050
Apple //c, Commodore 128, Mac Classic, SE/30, LC, IIvi and PB G3 (Clamshell)
Amiga 600 and a few 486 and 386.
Many Nintendo G&W and other electronic games from the late 70s/early 80s.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dualtos with UBE switch issues

Post by exxos »

Have you changed the caps in the reset circuit on the STE ? Only thing I can suggest. I don't think many of those boards were made as was just to many iffy issues with the STE reset circuit to keep the thing stable enough.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
olivier.jan

Post by olivier.jan »

No, I didn’t change the cap yet as RESET looks pretty “standard” compared to other STEs I have when checked with the scope. Anyway I will change the caps tomorrow to check.
Retro stuff
olivier.jan

Post by olivier.jan »

Changed the caps, still the same. I will try to check if there are serial debug messages coming out of the attiny85 later on.
I can always go for a physical switch anyway, the only issue is that French STEs don’t have a modulator so I can’t repurpose the RF hole in the case for a physical switch like I did with my UK STE. And I hate to modify original cases.
Retro stuff
DoG

Post by DoG »

I have seen people fitting small sliding switch upside down in the cartridge port slot.

EDIT: I couldn't find exactly what I was searching for but here's an example at least.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I purchased one a couple years ago.. a total disappointment. It would come up in what ever resolution it wanted to. It was uncontrollable on any machine so now it lives in my junk drawer. Three thumbs down for me. You would be better off with the one Exxos was selling lately that had the pins sticking up for resolution selection plus on a Mega you can still use the floppy connector.
DoG

Post by DoG »

PaulJ wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:49 pm I purchased one a couple years ago.. a total disappointment. It would come up in what ever resolution it wanted to. It was uncontrollable on any machine so now it lives in my junk drawer. Three thumbs down for me. You would be better off with the one Exxos was selling lately that had the pins sticking up for resolution selection plus on a Mega you can still use the floppy connector.
?

Is this post an answer to another thread? I'm totally lost here...

EDIT: Aah, probably referring to this. Did it also had ATTINY85 on it?
olivier.jan

Post by olivier.jan »

DoG wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:43 am I have seen people fitting small sliding switch upside down in the cartridge port slot.

EDIT: I couldn't find exactly what I was searching for but here's an example at least.
Thanks a lot, it reminded me of theses tiny switches I ordered from AliExpress a few years ago and never used. I didn’t go for the cartridge port to avoid very long wires, but instead got it out at the joystick/mouse port.
Stole some Blu-tack from my kids until I find a more permanent way to fix it. The switch is so small that it fits perfectly below the front edge of the STE.
EA421E31-A16F-42BE-971C-B73116B4CF9D.jpeg
EA421E31-A16F-42BE-971C-B73116B4CF9D.jpeg (109.29 KiB) Viewed 3816 times
Retro stuff
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

DoG wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:09 pm
PaulJ wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:49 pm I purchased one a couple years ago.. a total disappointment. It would come up in what ever resolution it wanted to. It was uncontrollable on any machine so now it lives in my junk drawer. Three thumbs down for me. You would be better off with the one Exxos was selling lately that had the pins sticking up for resolution selection plus on a Mega you can still use the floppy connector.
?

Is this post an answer to another thread? I'm totally lost here...

EDIT: Aah, probably referring to this. Did it also had ATTINY85 on it?
No, you're right Dog.. I see UBE and and my eyes glaze over and I see red... and immediately stop reading. I hope UBE (whoever or whatever it is) builds a better TOS switch than video resolution switch. After my experiences with the UBE video switch I just run away when I see UBE. My apologies :oops:

Return to “ROM UPGRADES”