STe replacing motheboard capacitors

The latest tweaks and fixes to keep your machine running in tip-top shape.
stephen_usher

Re: STe replacing motheboard capacitors

Post by stephen_usher » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:43 pm

Well, to a degree it's all about what you feel is the bigger risk.

With power supplies there's no real argument as not only failure could mean a fried machine but because the PCB itself is robust there's little risk of damage from replacing the capacitors.

On the main board, however, it's not as clear cut. What's the higher risk? Desoldering the original capacitors, manhandling and flexing the PCB, possibly breaking tracks, or leaving the dried out capacitors, which aren't in spec. but probably won't do anything terrible in the long term other than a bit of instability.

Myself, I err on the side of leaving it alone unless there's an obvious problem. However, that's purely my assessment of the balance of risk and others will have the opposite view, which is fine.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:48 pm

Yep indeed. If you cannot solder and de-solder without destroying the boards then you are probably in the wrong hobby.
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~

Badwolf

Post by Badwolf » Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:22 pm

exxos wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:48 pm
Yep indeed. If you cannot solder and de-solder without destroying the boards then you are probably in the wrong hobby.
Now you tell me? :lol:

BW
Falcdate Use the internet to work around dead Falcon NVRAM battery
Smalliermouse ST-optimised USB mouse adapter based on SmallyMouse2
DFB External 030 and AltRAM for the Falcon (under development)

Return to “TWEAKS & FIXES”