Falcon Fan slow down

The latest tweaks and fixes to keep your machine running in tip-top shape.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Falcon Fan slow down

Post by exxos »

I fitted a 7808 Regulator as shown to slow down the Falcon fan making it quieter.

2 regulator pins solder into the motherboard as shown. The right leg is bent upwards and connected to the fan only. The middle regulator pin is 0v and also needed for the fan.

I am sourcing some replacements fans as well. Though the air flow is higher and they still give more air flow at 8V than the original (they are very quiet). Will add them to my store in the future.

This can be done to any falcon if the fan noise is to loud. Though I do also recommend removing the sticker and placing a small drop of oil on the spindle as well.

IMG_3153.JPG
IMG_3153.JPG (1.78 MiB) Viewed 5010 times
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
mikro

Re: Falcon Fan slow down

Post by mikro »

Great - I've just replaced the fan too and wondering about the same. The new fan is quieter, it still feels like pumping a bit too much to it so something like this would be really useful (and far better than soldering a resistor).
DrF

Post by DrF »

What about a temperature controlled fan, speeds up as gets hotter, runs low normally that sort of thing?

Or we be back on about passive cooling and hope :)
KyleB

Post by KyleB »

That's the thing that puzzles me, the engineers must have thought it was necessary or else they wouldn't of put it there. But none of the chips have heatsinks, they're all (as standard) clocked a lot lower than their real capability, and the air it pulls in just goes along the keyboard and out of the vents without touching anything.

Return to “TWEAKS & FIXES”