Hissing and whistling in the STe audio output

Problems with your machine in general.
sandord

Re: Hissing and whistling in the STe audio output

Post by sandord »

exxos wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:16 pm
sandord wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:12 pm That's the first picture...
ah ok...

have you measured the power rails on each chip to see if anything spiky there ?

Also, hold down the reset button (it will stop the machine from running) so that would be interesting to test...
I'm sorry, I can't do any more measuring anymore any time soon. I have a lot of stuff to do and will be out for a long weekend. Gotta get some sleep now!
sandord

Post by sandord »

I forgot about some left channel measurements I also made, they might be interesting to compare to the right channel measurements.

NOTE: these are all AFTER recap so some filtering might be missing. I can't make measurements of this setup BEFORE recap now because I don't have time.

= DAC ============================================================================================

[L]

dacl.png
dacl.png (32.95 KiB) Viewed 5601 times

[R]

dacr.png
dacr.png (33.13 KiB) Viewed 5601 times

= U504 ============================================================================================

[L]

after-l-u504-p1.png
after-l-u504-p1.png (27.84 KiB) Viewed 5601 times

[R]

after-r-u504-p14.png
after-r-u504-p14.png (27.46 KiB) Viewed 5601 times

= U505 ============================================================================================

[L]

after-l-u505-p5.png
after-l-u505-p5.png (24.16 KiB) Viewed 5601 times

[R] (U506, the R requivalent of U505)

after-r-u506-p5.png
after-r-u506-p5.png (25.22 KiB) Viewed 5601 times

= U507 ============================================================================================

[L]

after-l-u507-p1.png
after-l-u507-p1.png (28.03 KiB) Viewed 5601 times

[R]

after-r-u507-p7.png
after-r-u507-p7.png (28.32 KiB) Viewed 5601 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

It looks like the problems start right after the first op-amp ?

In that case, it would have to be getting some frequency from somewhere, looks like it starts off at about 1.3KHz, also at 15.6KHz.

I would have to assume the noise is being introduced by the power rails to the op-amp.

That wouldn't be exactly simple to fix... Really it needs its own little regulated PSU, looks like 8.2V and -5V ?! odd, but I would be tempted to lift up those 2 10R resistors....
111111111.jpg
111111111.jpg (7.84 KiB) Viewed 5578 times
... and use a PP3 battery for the 8.2V (would be about that for a rechargeable one) then have another in series with a 7905 regulator to get the -5V rail.... or 3x AA batteries in series instead...

Noise can still get into the op-amps via bad grounding on the MB.. but if that ruled out some noise, then at least we have a proper starting point to what is going on...
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Tomswork

Post by Tomswork »

Just a question about the -5 supply to op amp were is coming from some of those setups are antenna

Tom
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

The whole PCB & parts is an antenna and the audio circuit has bad grounding in the mix. The only likely solution would be to rebuild the whole audio circuit on a new PCB and enclosed in a metal case. I suggested such but nobody is willing to build and try it :)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@Tomswork i deleted your post as the photo gave away your location

Maybe post it again but edit the photo?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Tomswork

Post by Tomswork »

Thank you I did not see that I'm more than halfway to tunnel vision

Tom
Tomswork

Post by Tomswork »

This little amp is small and could bi pass the problem

uxcell® Super Mini PAM8403
Screenshot_20200719-135744_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200719-135744_Samsung Internet.jpg (176.33 KiB) Viewed 4199 times
Tom
JezC

Post by JezC »

exxos wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:12 pm The only likely solution would be to rebuild the whole audio circuit on a new PCB and enclosed in a metal case. I suggested such but nobody is willing to build and try it :)
I didn't have an STE when you first posted this...things change ;)
Now I have 2 working STE's & would be interested to do this...just the two usual constraints lack of time & lack of money... :lol: :roll:

I have a colleague at work who is very into his audio & analogue designs (including audio amps) so I might manage to 'volunteer' at least some of his expertise to assist. 8-)

Anyway, probably one for the back-burner but definitely one of real interest at some point (and IIRC @exxos you mentioned possibly adding in some upgraded sound system onto a future STF platform...?)
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

JezC wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:15 pm I have a colleague at work who is very into his audio & analogue designs (including audio amps) so I might manage to 'volunteer' at least some of his expertise to assist. 8-)
I am a audio repair and design engineer ;) , built and repaired amps for 30 years, hobby and work. I mostly did digital amps towards the end, before I got swamped with all things Atari related. I still need to finish my power amp one day :roll:
JezC wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:15 pm (and IIRC @exxos you mentioned possibly adding in some upgraded sound system onto a future STF platform...?)
Yep, working on it in the background. 8 DAC channels to play protracker music without needing much CPU time..

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”