Hissing and whistling in the STe audio output

Problems with your machine in general.
BlankVector

Re: Hissing and whistling in the STe audio output

Post by BlankVector »

Here is the abominable sound of the left channel of my STe (right channel is not much better).
This is the sound just after reset, and booting the Faith demo. Typical example of floppy loading.

I have quickly recorded the left speaker, then normalized the wave. This is exactly what I hear when I turn the volume (not so) up. Of course I have bad speakers with some white noise, but it is completely negligible compared to that STe internal mess.

Note that the microphone was very close to the speaker, the actual floppy motor noise can't be heard. But floppy parasites are strong as hell, you can easily recognize track steps in the last part.

I also provide Audacity analysis.

There is a peak around 14700 Hz, certainly the hi-pitched constant noise I always hear, regardless to floppy activity. I don't know if that could be related to the 15 KHz video signal.
Attachments
vr-ste.zip
(1.15 MiB) Downloaded 212 times
Subscribe to my Vretrocomputing channel on YouTube and Facebook. Latest video: Disable the key click in assembly language on Atari ST.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

yikes that is bad indeed.

Wrap the floppy power cable through a core like this...
fc.jpg
fc.jpg (16.01 KiB) Viewed 6208 times
.. likely you will have to flick out the cables from the connector and wrap around the core about 3 times and put back in the connector. Put a low ESR 1,000uf as close to the motherboard end of the 5V floppy power cable as possible.. also place a 1,000uf across the floppy side of the cable...

That *should* help clamp a lot of noise issues...

Its actually the same idea as used on car radios.. I had to do the same on my vans radio, as the alternator was causing noise in the my speakers, plus things like the indicators was causing clicks and pops.. when I used the idea as mentioned above, all problems vanished. It's a really common problem and common solution.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Paulo P

Post by Paulo P »

Hmm, that's interesting.
OK, I will record my "mess". Directly from STe audio output by cable, no microphone, no speakers, just directly to line input on my soundcard. Then I will normalize the wave and put it here.
It looks that my motherboard is fully recapped (pictures are here: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=569), so I think this problem wouldn't be solved. :(
Paulo P

Post by Paulo P »

Here is a normalized sample from my STe audio output recorded directly by audio cable. So, what do you think? Thanks very much.
Attachments
Atari.zip
(2.75 MiB) Downloaded 228 times
troed

Post by troed »

Paulo P wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:40 pm Here is a normalized sample from my STe audio output recorded directly by audio cable. So, what do you think? Thanks very much.
You have an enormous peak at 2600Hz, just as I do. Then you have one at 15.x kHz which is interference from the video output.

The 2600Hz peak is really interesting.
Paulo P

Post by Paulo P »

troed wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:47 pm
Paulo P wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:40 pm Here is a normalized sample from my STe audio output recorded directly by audio cable. So, what do you think? Thanks very much.
You have an enormous peak at 2600Hz, just as I do. Then you have one at 15.x kHz which is interference from the video output.

The 2600Hz peak is really interesting.
Maybe a motherboard recap would help...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

If anyone has a bad motherboard to loan me for a while which has these faults, then I could look into it myself. None of my boards as yet have suffered anything like what you guys are seeing :shrug:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
Paulo P

Post by Paulo P »

exxos wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:07 pm If anyone has a bad motherboard to loan me for a while which has these faults, then I could look into it myself. None of my boards as yet have suffered anything like what you guys are seeing :shrug:
That's very interesting to me. I have one more STe at home and it has the same problem. :O
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Paulo P wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:14 pm That's very interesting to me. I have one more STe at home and it has the same problem. :O
Send me the MB on its own and I will take a look at it..
troed

Post by troed »

Analyzed a third sound capture from a video that had been uploaded to youtube. The same ~2600Hz peak and harmonics is found there, so I'm beginning to become quite certain that this is indeed the well-known "STE high pitched whine".

As to the cause ... well. I don't think it's age related (I remember it from way back when the machines were new) and it's also something that's common to different machines doing different things.
ste_high_pitched_whine.png
ste_high_pitched_whine.png (302.79 KiB) Viewed 6017 times

Return to “HARDWARE ISSUES”