Keyboard port repair.

The latest tweaks and fixes to keep your machine running in tip-top shape.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Keyboard port repair.

Post by exxos »

One of the most common things to go wrong is that the mouse and joystick ports the malfunction when solder points break.

Keyboard such as this one of easy to fix..
1.png
1.png (594.31 KiB) Viewed 2956 times

Turn the keyboard upside down and remove all the screws.. You will have to remove the plastic sticking sheet to gain access to a lot of the screws.
2.png
2.png (588.43 KiB) Viewed 2956 times

If done really carefully you can normally dismantle without the "cups" falling off, though if they do , no worries.

Notice however on the PCB that 2 of the cups are missing by default. So if your cups fall off then you need to know which 2 are supposed to be missing else you will spend hours looking for 2 cups which were not there in the first place! This is all too common!!

I decided to put all the screws in a small pot, that way I can lose the whole lot in one go rather than the odd one or two :)

The plastic keys as a whole got left to soak in warm washing up water and given a good clean with a soft brush.
3.png
3.png (1.5 MiB) Viewed 2956 times

The Mouse/Joystick ports normally break over time, so a must to resolder these pins even if they look ok.
4.png
4.png (1.37 MiB) Viewed 2956 times

All assembled back together and looks like its just come off the production line. Not bad for a 25 year old item :-)
5.png
5.png (719.4 KiB) Viewed 2956 times
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.

Return to “TWEAKS & FIXES”