Projects and Stuff

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
rubber_jonnie

Re: Projects and Stuff

Post by rubber_jonnie » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:41 am

@PaulJ I'm pretty sure that list isn't comprehensive, especially since each category will have sub categories 😁

There may even be some missing.....

:D
Collector of old Atari things:
800XL + Ultimate 1MB, 2x 1010 cassette, 1050 + Happy mod, 65XE (128k +APE Warp) & XC12, SIO2SD, 2600jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Atari 520ST (1Meg), 1040STF long button floppy, 2x 1040 STFMs + Gotek, 2x 4160STE with 32Mhz booster, ROM switcher, Mega ST1, Mega ST4, not to mention various bare ST boards for testing including a PAK 68/2 :)
Plus the rest..
Amiga stuff, Mac stuff, Sinclair stuff etc...
www.electronicnothingness.co.uk

PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by PaulJ » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:49 pm

PhilC wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:34 am
Thanks @PaulJ , do you also have a guide for correct chip orientation?
Phil, I would have included an orientation guide but for fuses they can be inserted either way. I would watch out for the brass fuse though maybe insert the pointy end away from ya. :D :D :hide:

PhilC

Post by PhilC » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:36 pm

@PaulJ seems like reasonable advice.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by PaulJ » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:04 pm

PhilC wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:36 pm
@PaulJ seems like reasonable advice.
Just purchase the better part of two 1040’s and both had supplies with missing fuses. Assume the supplies are suspect but had to order fuses just not the ones pictured. I would guess a lot of the current ratings are bad. Don’t believe the flip top could do 130 amps not to mention some of the other ratings.

stephen_usher
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by stephen_usher » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:10 pm

Re: NetUSBee
I thought I'd try it again in the STFM with TF536 and I monitored what the CPU actually sees.

Very interesting. It doesn't pull the bus down very well. It's extremely weak. Most of the bits hardly make it down to TTL low levels of voltage, and many don't.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.

PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru

Post by PaulJ » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:10 pm

stephen_usher wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:10 pm
Re: NetUSBee
Very interesting. It doesn't pull the bus down very well. It's extremely weak. Most of the bits hardly make it down to TTL low levels of voltage, and many don't.
Ya know that maybe a good clue. We have decreased the resistance values of the pull-ups which could cause a higher low if being driver with a weaker device. I've been playing with the bee on the H5 and part of the issue is the recycled cartridge connector. After a good cleaning and a lub with some electronic cleaner its much better. However its not a 100%... usually works booting from a cold system. But if its been on for some time it fails occasionally. Another funny thing is you can start it cold, exit and restart hours later and it works. Without that cold start its a top up if its going to start when warm.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/exxosuk

Post by exxos » Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:43 pm

Even 2.2K pull ups is only 2.2mA... What it using to drive the bus anyway ? if it cant pull down a couple of mA then its going to need some buffering to work properly.
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”