New project: An ACT Apricot F1 "barn find"

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New project: An ACT Apricot F1 "barn find"

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I'm sure you've already seen this, but thought I'd add it anyway: http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/2729/Apricot-F1/

I find it slightly odd that they went for the IR KBD but since reading some stuff on it it seems it was partly intended for home use with a TV connection and the keyboard makes sense if you're sat on a sofa.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Well, it's not really a home system. There was a modulator add-on for the machine but it wasn't standard. You have the normal Apricot TTL RGBI 9 pin colour output (H-sync/V-sync) and mono composite video otherwise. It is rather more stylish that the Xi/PC though.

Given how many people like wireless keyboards and mice these days I can see why the idea of a wireless keyboard would have been innovative and desired but the IR technology just wasn't up to the task. Only now with 2.4GHz radio and the processing power for the protocols required has allowed this to become reliable.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:26 pm Well, it's not really a home system. There was a modulator add-on for the machine but it wasn't standard. You have the normal Apricot TTL RGBI 9 pin colour output (H-sync/V-sync) and mono composite video otherwise. It is rather more stylish that the Xi/PC though.

Given how many people like wireless keyboards and mice these days I can see why the idea of a wireless keyboard would have been innovative and desired but the IR technology just wasn't up to the task. Only now with 2.4GHz radio and the processing power for the protocols required has allowed this to become reliable.
Yes, I agree, I recall a lot of stuff trying infra-red back in the day, and none of it being particularly successful. Sounds like fun and games building the IR adapter. Out of curiosity, is it bi-directional?
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

No, purely unidirectional.

I've attached the schematic diagrams for the relevant part of the machine, i.e. the keyboard itelf, the IR receiver circuit and the interface with the Z80-SIO.

Note that the "2.5MHz" input to the 556 timer is actually 2.24MHz in reality.

f1-keyboard-decode.jpg
f1-keyboard-decode.jpg (207.15 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
f1-keyboard-circuit.jpg
f1-keyboard-circuit.jpg (242.25 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
f1-ir-receiver.jpg
f1-ir-receiver.jpg (163.17 KiB) Viewed 2441 times
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

I see the KBD uses a microprocessor (I guess microcontroller is closer to the truth), shame you can't just recreate the original.

Interesting stuff!
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:01 pm I see the KBD uses a microprocessor (I guess microcontroller is closer to the truth), shame you can't just recreate the original.

Interesting stuff!
Yeah. Unfortunately it has an internal mask ROM and no information about the code.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:19 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:01 pm I see the KBD uses a microprocessor (I guess microcontroller is closer to the truth), shame you can't just recreate the original.

Interesting stuff!
Yeah. Unfortunately it has an internal mask ROM and no information about the code.
Shame the code hasn't been preserved somewhere. Good luck with your IR endeavours, it's very interesting as although I have a reasonable understanding of what components do and how computers function, I just don't have the skills to design something like that, I wouldn't know where to start!! Looking forward to seeing the results in action.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

OK. I *may* not need to do this. I've found an Apricot F2 for sale on Facebook Marketplace for £30 and I'm negociating to buy it... and it comes with a keyboard!
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Well, the F2 with keyboard arrived today, amazingly.

What was more amazing was how poorly it was packaged... Thrown straight into a flimsy box with no padding with a load of cables and then sent via ParcelForce!

It's going to be another case rebuild.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:01 pm Well, the F2 with keyboard arrived today, amazingly.

What was more amazing was how poorly it was packaged... Thrown straight into a flimsy box with no padding with a load of cables and then sent via ParcelForce!

It's going to be another case rebuild.
Good find, shame the seller couldn't be bothered to do a proper packing job :headbang:

Is the keyboard identical from an IR perspective?

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”