The ultimate TOS desktop?

General Discussion, STOS.

Moderator: troed

Steve

The ultimate TOS desktop?

Post by Steve »

Hey guys,

I've always used Mint as the main desktop on my machines, but I'm keen on creating a seperate CF card install of pure TOS apps. I'd like it if people can post their most recommended TOS enhancements / apps / cpx etc for everything you'd need to spice up the TOS desktop and good utilities to make it more usable.

Ideas: Web browsing, would that be Sting & browser? FTP, word processing, desktop utilities, accessories, etc etc.
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The ultimate TOS desktop?

Post by IngoQ »

I'd start setting up a boot manager, like XBoot. With that you can decide at boot time, what environment you want to use. You can set up profiles or change auto folders, acc, cpx etc. on the fly.

I have a very minimal set up without anything non essential (only HDD-drivers, basically) for games and demos. Then I have a more blown up TOS config, with a custom shell (I like Gemini), XControl, NVDI, etc. And lastly a MagiC-Konfig, with roughly the same tools.

Essential utilities for me would be Kobold, some archivers (LHA and ZIP), ST-Guide and a good text editor (i.e. Everest).

I am not yet sure, what word processor I like, for starters Atari works provides the basics and is clean and simple. If you need a good spreadsheet, Texcel is pretty much unbeatable.

A good starting point for me was this site: https://sites.google.com/site/stessential/
Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
Steve

Re: The ultimate TOS desktop?

Post by Steve »

Very helpful, thank you :)

I would also like to add Winx and LED panel to the mix

Return to “SOFTWARE”