My own first ST project.

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
PhilC

My own first ST project.

Post by PhilC »

Can ya tell what it is yet?
20190105_203057_resized.jpg
20190105_203057_resized.jpg (290.05 KiB) Viewed 4451 times
I know it's a simple project for you all but I had a lot of proto board lying round that I ordered for a work project and then Icky kindly donated the cart port breakout board, so I thought I'd start by designing my own diag cart board.

The reason for the different sockets is firstly I've got loads of 40 pin sockets but no 28 or 32 pin and then I fancied making an adaptor from the DIP sockets to the Plcc socket.

No particular reason, as I've already got 2 diag carts but figured it'd be a good one to start with.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
DoG

Re: My own first ST project.

Post by DoG »

Nice little project. You got to start somewhere.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

DoG wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:50 pm Nice little project. You got to start somewhere.
Thank you, start small, then you won't be disappointed. :-)
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

:bravo: looking forward to updates on how you get on.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Nice one :)
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

:bravo:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Funnily enough, I was thinking that a diag cart would be a neat project too, especially after getting hold of one from Crashman. The breakout board was the problem I had too, maybe I need to give Icky a shout :)
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

That's what initially put me off but icky sending me the breakout board helped.

Hopefully icky can share the brd files etc, so we can get some made.

I want to design my own board in eagle or kicad after I've got the spaghetti version working.

Btw, I put headers on the breakout board, so I can reuse it as much as I need for now.

Will post a pic of the spaghetti in a bit
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

:goodpost:
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Forgottenmyname wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:28 am That's what initially put me off but icky sending me the breakout board helped.

Hopefully icky can share the brd files etc, so we can get some made.

I want to design my own board in eagle or kicad after I've got the spaghetti version working.

Btw, I put headers on the breakout board, so I can reuse it as much as I need for now.

Will post a pic of the spaghetti in a bit
So the breakout board was my first attempt with Eagle so its not perfect. I'll share the brd files once I have tweaked as there were a few tolerances I need to change as I had to file the board every so slightly to get it to fit in the socket.

Plus this version was really for the STF Remake as its short. However as Forgottenmyname has done place the prototype board underneath to allow it to fit a cased ST.

I'll produce two versions short and long and post.

I mentioned a while back that we could do with a section on the forum for brd and sch files. I think it would be very useful to people.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”