PhilCs blog / the latest things hes broken(fixed)

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
PhilC

Re: PhilCs blog / the latest things hes broken(fixed)

Post by PhilC »

The new Eprom programmer has arrived.

I went for a GQ-4x4 this time as it got good reviews. It is twice as expensive as the TL866 that I had but is quicker to write 27c4096 chips.

I've written my first eprom with it which was one that the TL866 said was faulty. Its verified correctly etc so looks like the TL866 was definitely dead unfortunately.

Only thing it needs is a nice 3d printed bracket to hold the eprom adaptor board in place.
20200328_144201.jpg
20200328_144201.jpg (278.06 KiB) Viewed 3779 times
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

All of this IDE board fun that has been going round has rubbed off on me. For a long time I've wanted to make a Megabus to IDE adaptor. I know I could simply go out and order the same one as @rubber_jonnie has used, the PPera one but I wanted to see if I could elaborate on it a little by fitting buffers and a few other things.

I've also wanted to start getting my own PCB's manufactured. I used to do the old toner transfer stuff but that's a real pain for double sided boards and really messy. So this board will also be an experiment in that but that's not all. the Gal program for a basic IDE board is also pretty basic too, so another quick learning exercise there too.

Then whilst I'm at it, I'm going to make a megabus to 68000 adaptor, to make it easier to plug things like the flashyclock into my mega too.

Or in other words, I've got three weeks away from work and i'm already bored. :D
JezC

Post by JezC »

Will be very interested to see how you progress with these...still unsure what I can/should do with my Mega4 (but it has a Megafile60 with it already).

Currently only running TOS 1.02 but I have one of exxos' TOS switchers for it (to build) & some 27C4096 EPROMs to program up.

TOS1.04 is a must (I want to use this Mega for some music stuff...it came with CUbase 3.0/Midex+ & a couple of Steinberg synth editor packages)...but I'm wondering which other image to use...

So, something with IDE & TOS 2.06 decoding but that will fit into a Mega is looking attractive...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@JezC I like Tos2.06 myself, so the IDE board will also do the address decoding for that and the likes of emutos 256k images.

I actually prefer the footprint of the Mega and will likely sell off my other STs once I've got the H4's built up and cased for myself. Now if only I could persuade @exxos to make a new Mega motherboard. :lol:
JezC

Post by JezC »

@PhilC I'm also a fan of the smaller system unit with the Mega (and it means that the Mega keyboard can fit on top of the synth while sequencing/editing, so I get away with a smaller working area).

Maybe you can take his schematics & fit them into a Mega case after you've successfully created & built your Megabus boards?
:poke: :hide:

I think the idea of a breakout board for the Mega is great - would give us options for fitting all sorts of upgrades...though most would probably not fit inside the height of the original case
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@JezC if I did that it might be ready by say 2025 :lol: Can't say I'm the quickest at routing PCBs.
JezC

Post by JezC »

PhilC wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:58 am @JezC if I did that it might be ready by say 2025 :lol: Can't say I'm the quickest at routing PCBs.
@PhilC Well, on that timescale, I might have finished my H4 boards & be able to give you a hand... :lol: :roll:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PhilC wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:29 am @JezC I like Tos2.06 myself, so the IDE board will also do the address decoding for that and the likes of emutos 256k images.

I actually prefer the footprint of the Mega and will likely sell off my other STs once I've got the H4's built up and cased for myself. Now if only I could persuade @exxos to make a new Mega motherboard. :lol:
@PhilC I prefer the Mega too, and would also like to see a H4 Mega replacement, but I guess it all comes down to numbers. My Mega4 just keeps dying. I fix it, it dies. I fix it agin.... you get the picture

Incidentally I am going to patch 1.04 for IDE this weekend, will post how I get along.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@JezC I think we'd probably be better off leaving it in the capable hands of @Icky and @exxos .

Sounds like a plan @rubber_jonnie .

I've finished the routing on the Mega IDE board. I was going to add a rom onto the board but exxos and icky have plenty of good options for me to use for the, so no point at this moment in time.

I do have a whole load of 27c160 & 27c800 but I'll save them for another project, maybe an Amiga one.
Screenshot 2020-04-03 at 12.37.59.png
Screenshot 2020-04-03 at 12.37.59.png (47.33 KiB) Viewed 3705 times
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Knocked up the quick CPU mega bus adaptor, hopefully it'll work :lol: and done my first JLCPCB order too, lets see how long it takes to get here.
Screenshot 2020-04-03 at 15.04.58.png
Screenshot 2020-04-03 at 15.04.58.png (134.68 KiB) Viewed 3689 times

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”