PhilCs blog / the latest things hes broken(fixed)

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
JezC

Re: PhilCs blog / the latest things hes broken(fixed)

Post by JezC »

:goodpost:
Nice

@PhilC So, which OS are you running on the IDE board? I'm guessing EmuTOS...or TOS 2.06 failing that.
Is the TF536 IDE being used as the boot drive?

Plus is it running HD Driver?

Just wanting to get a known working setup ready for when that TF536 arrives... :D
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@JezC i didn't get much time last night, so it was a case of booting it from a floppy just to test it.

I have tos2.06 in the ide board but at present the TF536 wont boot with that.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
JezC

Post by JezC »

@PhilC Ok, no problem.

I thought that I'd read somewhere about problems with the floppy when using the TF536? That's partly why I am trying to build up the full v1.1c IDE board... otherwise I could just use it for the ROM decode and then go with FDD/ACSI HDD for now (and delay updating HD Driver for a bit).

I really must start a thread for gathering info on who is running a TF536 on an ST (of any kind, including H4) and what configuration they have (OS, HDD driver if used, FDD, ACSI and/or IDE) etc.

Maybe tonight....
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@JezC i would love to say ive been able to test all that out but not had enough time. I am slowly getting through it though.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I am running floppy with TF536 & H4 and not seen any issues.at least no loading apps, I've not tried formatting a floppy.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

exxos wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:41 am I am running floppy with TF536 & H4 and not seen any issues.at least no loading apps, I've not tried formatting a floppy.
That was an issue with Maprom wasn't it?

I need yo document all of this on my how to thread.
JezC

Post by JezC »

PhilC wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:47 am I need yo document all of this on my how to thread.
@PhilC That would be really helpful.

@exxos If I can run programs from floppy then that's good enough for now.

Thanks guys.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

PhilC wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:47 am That was an issue with Maprom wasn't it?
Yeah I think so. I think the problems is likely relocating of system variables into fast ram... I am not running anything fancy other than vanilla TOS206. He did write some other programs which I think just relocated TOS, I did write about it all in my thread I think.https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =76&t=3072
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Too hot to do anything that involves too much thinking, so ive put the Mega ST to one side and decided to see if I could work out what was the cause of the random crashes on one of my H4s (apart from me that is.)

Whilst messing around I decided to fit the PLCC 68901 and test some more TF536s. (More ready to go if anyone is interested)

It turns out that whilst testing I was getting random crashes due to the Glue socket. So once again I'm a victim of the Curse of the Socket.

Bit of pin manipulation and once again I have a nice reliable H4, until I break it again that is.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

This arrived in the post today. Along with some top secret stuff for the Destructive testing Department.
20200923_152310.jpg
20200923_152310.jpg (273.31 KiB) Viewed 3338 times
Appart from a bit of dust on the top metal casing its pretty clean, so thank @exxos.

Later on its going to be given some pimping, a 4mb ram upgrade, TF536, nova graphics card and a dual tos board.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”