PhilCs blog / the latest things hes broken(fixed)

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PhilCs blog / the latest things hes broken(fixed)

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PhilC wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:17 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:07 pm
The smaller cap is slightly shorter than the original, however when I removed it it turns out there are two sets of holes in the PCD and it fits just fine :)
Ive removed both smoke generators and pretty much everything else in the PSU looks fine. Someone has changed C7 at some point. And talk about long, those 1000uf caps are ridiculously long but I guess they are like that for space saving. Still, nothing else bulged or burst as yet :)
Sounds much like mine, all you have to do now is wait on the replacements and you're off and running :) TBH I'd have sent you some but I can't find them!!
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@rubber_jonnie ironically I placed a Farnell order earlier but didn't think about them or I'd have ordered those as well.

And thanks for the offer, I'll have a couple of spares for other stuff at least.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

The PSU should work without the capacitors. It's just that it'll send noise up the mains cable into the house as they're for noise suppression.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

stephen_usher wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:55 pm The PSU should work without the capacitors. It's just that it'll send noise up the mains cable into the house as they're for noise suppression.
Cool, I'm in no rush though as I want to give the rest of it a once over too first.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

So I thought I'd take a closer look at that mod on S10, so have given the board a good dust down and am still none the wiser.

It's got another chip connected dead bug style with a whole bunch of resistors that then sends an output to the video out.

20210907_194957.jpg
20210907_194957.jpg (196.37 KiB) Viewed 1617 times

I'll do a bit more research about that once I've got the machine back together and working.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

The two rifa alternatives have just arrived and then been fitted to the Apple IIe and we hear a beep, followed by the screen displaying this

20210909_154209.jpg
20210909_154209.jpg (73.5 KiB) Viewed 1596 times

No idea what to do next :lol:
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

OK, silly me, I connected the FDEMU and we are off and running, sound graphics etc, now to give it a good test.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PhilC wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:54 pm OK, silly me, I connected the FDEMU and we are off and running, sound graphics etc, now to give it a good test.
Yep, it'll display Apple ][ indefinitely with an FDC fitted and no FDD connected.

That 'Attack of the mutant resistors' mod, is it just resistors, are there other components? It's a bit nasty.

BTW, can't recall if I asked if you had a switch in the OS1 position? That seems to turn colour off/on, so if you are just getting B+W image try turning it off. Your MB was the same model as mine IIRC so should have it. Also you should have a switch under the front of the KBD to turn # into £ and vice versa. Well, they are both called pound!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@rubber_jonnie there's a chip dead bug style under all those resistors, will investigate. it at some point.

Got 80 column mode working but trying to find that OS1 switch as I've just got mono right now.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PhilC wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:18 pm @rubber_jonnie there's a chip dead bug style under all those resistors, will investigate. it at some point.

Got 80 column mode working but trying to find that OS1 switch as I've just got mono right now.
It's right in the middle of the board, very small slide switch with a couple of black wires going to it.

BTW I asked about the mod over here: https://www.applefritter.com/content/st ... pple-e-mod

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”