PhilCs blog / the latest things hes broken(fixed)

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PhilCs blog / the latest things hes broken(fixed)

Post by rubber_jonnie »

@PhilC This seems to cover it: http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com ... ulator.php

Basically 1 or 2 digits, the value is what it says in picofarads, then if it is 3 digits, the last number is a multiplier, up to and not exceeding 6.

I personally have one of these:

TC1.JPG
TC1.JPG (52.09 KiB) Viewed 3085 times

Whilst I don't expect it to be 100%, it's enough for a ballpark value on caps resistors, and does other stuff too. Obviously I have my multimeter and also a dedicated capacitance meter as well.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

So an interesting turn of events. If I put a 192k rom such as Diagrom or emutos etc into the H4 but without the link from the IDE rom socket then it boots every time.

If I put a 256k rom into the H4 then it doesnt boot at all.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

PhilC wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:21 pm If I put a 256k rom into the H4 then it doesnt boot at all.
The 256K version wont work in the H4 or any motherboard, its basically running in TOS206 space, so its like trying to put TOS206 into it without the decoding logic.

256K EMUTOS should work in the IDE ROM, I've had it running there.

:chairsmack:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@exxos yes I realise that but the thing that is puzzling me is why a 192k boots in the H4 but same rom doesnt boot in the IDE.

They are two different sockets, 3m on IDE and chinese on H4.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Have you tried TOS104 & TOS206 in the IDE ?
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

exxos wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:32 pm Have you tried TOS104 & TOS206 in the IDE ?
Yes, neither works. I'll try adjusting the rom sockets later on. Having a break from it and working on something else at the mo.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PhilC wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:18 pm
exxos wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:32 pm Have you tried TOS104 & TOS206 in the IDE ?
Yes, neither works. I'll try adjusting the rom sockets later on. Having a break from it and working on something else at the mo.
Sounds like something isn't quite right, my TOS 1.04/2.06 combo works fine. Hope you can figure it out.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Unfortunately I have a slight setback, as in my eprom programmer, a TL866 II has packed up. Had it just over a year. It refuses to program anything without errors.

So on the hunt tonight for a new one. Any recommendations?
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

I use a TOP3000.. Can't say its the best, but had it a few years now.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PhilC wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:31 pm Unfortunately I have a slight setback, as in my eprom programmer, a TL866 II has packed up. Had it just over a year. It refuses to program anything without errors.

So on the hunt tonight for a new one. Any recommendations?
It is possible to reflash the TL866, might be worth looking into whilst trying to source a new one. I can't recommend anything other than a TL866II+ as that's all I have.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”