exxos blog - random goings on

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: exxos blog - random goings on

Post by exxos »

PhilC wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:05 pm @exxos it does look like a bed adhesion issue. Have you got any of that blue build tape? Try that if so. I have a textured glass bed and that works great as long as I keep it very clean.
It actually sticks to the bed fine on the first layer.. Is the second layer where it starts to go wrong.. It is like the ABS does not stick to itself or something. I do not think the bed being on springs really helpful oscillations either :roll:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@exxos I fitted stringer springs to mine as well. Still sounds like a bed adhesion issue where it sticks to the next layer which contracts as it cools etc etc
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

This is a lot better now.. I think the problem was because I went to 0.4mm height while not reducing the speed.. I think it was just trying to push too much filament through to fast :roll:

IMG_7021.JPG
IMG_7021.JPG (238.65 KiB) Viewed 1786 times

I'm trying to see if there is a better way of fixing the build plate to the mounting bracket thing. I think with it only being supported at the back it does not really work very well.

@PhilC I could give stronger springs a try..
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

More printer drama. Having printed out a good flat square the other day, it's now gone nuts again :roll:

It doesn't make much sense , because on one hand the print is to high, so suggests it's over extruding. But OTOH , there are gaps like a line down the left side or in the corners which suggest under extrusion. I haven't touched the bed, but did later fiddle with that which seems to have made things worse :roll:

I calibrated the extruder again and it was 15mm to short on a 100mm runs.. Hmm.. So I calibrated it.. And it was still out by the same amount. It's the point that now it seems to be massively over-extruding. But repeated tests showed inconsistent lengths :roll: last thing I did was to swap the whole extruder for my original hack job and that is now giving consistent flow rates but the odd gaps in the print still persist.

For a while I have thought the belt is missing bits or the motor is slipping. But on something like a 100mm square, it doesn't make sense that it misses a whole line on the Y axis.. Same place each time.

At one point something really bonkers happened. The print seemed to scale by itself to like 75%! It wasn't the slicer or options either. But it gets better, it totally missed the right side of the print. Like it hit a invisable wall and wouldn't behave. After I turned the printer off and on again, that issue went away.

I've also had odd issues like when I was trying the gcode for finished print music. It like played 10 notes then nothing. Next time it was more like 5 notes, then it stopped doing anything at all.

I had some other odd issues where I changed the USB cable and lowered the baud rate and it seemed to help. But in light off all these problems I think the actual board is buggered somehow. It decided it didn't have flash anymore, so I had to send all the calibration codes before each print.

I have a smoothie board. I may see if I can get that going. The docs say you can do new comfigs without having to compile the firmware. So that sounds like a good thing as I can't get vstudio to behave anyway.

Overall I'm wondering to just ditch this printer and buy something else. Though I want to start a voron build maybe after Xmas , like @Icky's giant panda. So I'm not sure it's worth buying a small printer again, though it depends how long it will take to build the voron. At the speeds I get things done....

But I will give the smoothie board a try I think first. Hopefully it won't take much to get going. My theory is the current flashforge board is "losing" print codes, like it just can't process the codes fast enough and it trips up at the same points in the print and misses lines.

But also I now un-forgot the extruder motor was sometimes running backwards. I think that was the cable / baud rate as not seem that happen since. But again I wonder if other data isn't just missing, but getting corrupted. So it over extrudes sometimes then not others. I think it's why I seem to be going around in circles all the time with settings. It's like it works mostly fine one day, then the next day it's like gremlins have messed with it overnight and I have to mess with all the settings again..

It's possible there's problems with the belt or even the motors. But they are not exactly quick to change, but that's getting to the point of a total rebuild and after like 3 weeks of messing with it now.. I'll try the smoothie board and see if anything changes, for the better that is.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

exxos wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:50 am Overall I'm wondering to just ditch this printer and buy something else. Though I want to start a voron build maybe after Xmas, like @Icky's giant panda. So I'm not sure it's worth buying a small printer again, though it depends how long it will take to build the voron. At the speeds I get things done....
Go Voron and create another beast. It’s not without its quirks as all 3D printers have but nothing compared to effort and pain you have been having with that Flashforge. Plus the Voron is customisable.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@exxos I'd have beaten that printer to death ages ago.
JezC

Post by JezC »

PhilC wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:51 am @exxos I'd have beaten that printer to death ages ago.
And I thought @exxos was trying to take 'your' job of breaking things ;) :hide:
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

@JezC it certainly looks like it
JezC

Post by JezC »

PhilC wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:25 am @JezC it certainly looks like it
I'm expecting a chair whack from @exxos for one or both of us at any point soon ;) :lol:
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

JezC wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:36 am
PhilC wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:25 am @JezC it certainly looks like it
I'm expecting a chair whack from @exxos for one or both of us at any point soon ;) :lol:
:awwww:

It was broken from new I think..

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”