LIQUID RETROBRIGHT TEST ON MOUSE

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

LIQUID RETROBRIGHT TEST ON MOUSE

Post by exxos »

This test was done last year..

Top part of the mouse socked in liquid peroxide. Left in sun light all day. IIRC the first 2 hours showed the most change in colour, the rest of the day did not seem to have any change.

The mouse did look better afterwards, but still nowhere near proper colour.

Some people reported leaving items to soak for a week (even out of sun light) worked. So I think I will try that, we don't get much sun here in "sunny UK". So at least I could test the idea out by simply soaking and taking a image of its progress each day.

DSCN2383.JPG
DSCN2383.JPG (212.25 KiB) Viewed 6555 times
DSCN2385.JPG
DSCN2385.JPG (105.71 KiB) Viewed 6555 times
DSCN2387.JPG
DSCN2387.JPG (180.44 KiB) Viewed 6555 times
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: LIQUID RETROBRIGHT TEST ON MOUSE

Post by exxos »

I did a MEGA ST as a test around the same time, that still seems ok so far. Though "years in testing" is a lot indeed to figure out :lol:

I do wonder if heating the solution up would make it act faster.. not so easy to try though.
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

Have a look here, this guy found out some interesting things...

Ingo :geek:

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
tfhh

Post by tfhh »

Hi,
exxos wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:21 pm Top part of the mouse socked in liquid peroxide. Left in sun light all day.
I have this Retrobright stuff since years on my "to do" list, but never tried until now. Question: Do you leave the mouse all the time IN the fluid?

And did you try it also with bigger parts? I saw ready-to-use "cream" for that in the U.S., the U.S. guys oils the whole case part (for example) with than "cream", put it into a translucent plastic bag and then into the sun. Never seen such ready-to-use peroxyde here in germany or europe. I´m not very skilled with chemicals - just to know :D

Jurgen
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

Hiya,
tfhh wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:51 am And did you try it also with bigger parts? I saw ready-to-use "cream" for that in the U.S., the U.S. guys oils the whole case part (for example) with than "cream", put it into a translucent plastic bag and then into the sun. Never seen such ready-to-use peroxyde here in germany or europe. I´m not very skilled with chemicals - just to know :D
That's exactly how I did it. Biggest advantage is, you don't need that much, and you don't have pure Peroxide lying around. The latter is especially dangerous, when you have kids and/or pets...

I got mine here:

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B001CLLQ8G/ref= ... RzbD0S2CRR

| Atari 1040STE@32MHz | Amiga 1200 (ACA1220) | Atari 800XL (U1MB, SIDE2) | Atari 130XL (Sophia DVI) | C64 (1541 Ultimate II, Rev3 RFMod Replacement) | TI 99/4A (F18A, 32k, FlashROM 99) | Sinclair ZX Spectrum 128 (Stereo, DivMMC) | Amstrad CPC664 (512k, M4 Wifi) | ... |
DrF

Post by DrF »

IngoQ wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:37 am
That's exactly how I did it. Biggest advantage is, you don't need that much, and you don't have pure Peroxide lying around. The latter is especially dangerous, when you have kids and/or pets...
I got some barrels of 85% lying about, might try dilute some of that, I hate maths :p
I know hair creams are meant to work well and there about 20% I think the law changed on the % some time ago cant remember.
IngoQ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IngoQ »

If you look at the linked bottle, it says 12% and 40 VOL. This is the percentage of pure Hydrogen Peroxide in it, where the 12% is based on the weight and the 40 VOL is percentage based on volume. The latter is deprecated in many countries, but in many retrobright related posts it is still used. So when it says, you should buy 40% salon cream, it usually means 40 VOL, which is 12% based on weight, like the one above.

exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

IngoQ wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:32 pm Have a look here, this guy found out some interesting things...
Very interesting video!

So ozone can do things as well. I guess this could explain why my liquid didnt work.. not much gas.. It could also explain why cream works better as it may trap the gasses more.

One thing which I have not seen mentioned anywhere yet, is the peroxide does actually seem to bleach the colours. This stuff wasn't "white" when new, so I actually think the ozone is more the proper colour. I noticed this when I did my MEGA ST keyboard, it looked more white, which isn't the original colour.

Also interesting he states it may be the heat which is doing the business, not necesrly the UV.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”