Building a DIY large bed 3D printer

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
PaulJ_2.0
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: Building a DIY large bed 3D printer

Post by PaulJ_2.0 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:32 pm

Nice stuff!
I have always wanted to build myself a core xy, but I just dont have the space for another printer, especially one 500x500, which is what I would like.
Maybe one that turns into a coffee table when out of use would be ideal :)

User avatar
Icky
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1358
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:57 am
Location: UK

Re: Building a DIY large bed 3D printer

Post by Icky » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:57 pm

PaulJ_2.0 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:32 pm
Nice stuff!
I have always wanted to build myself a core xy, but I just dont have the space for another printer, especially one 500x500, which is what I would like.
Maybe one that turns into a coffee table when out of use would be ideal :)
Nice idea about the coffee table PaulJ_2.0. I have seen a picture on the web of someone installing one in their living room cabinets.

Well I got the other parts through this morning and its now got all the correct bed struts in to make sure the bed is stable and sturdy. The bed sit across the four beams.

IMG_4378.jpg
IMG_4378.jpg (165.65 KiB) Viewed 336 times

User avatar
Icky
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1358
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:57 am
Location: UK

Re: Building a DIY large bed 3D printer

Post by Icky » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:28 am

Looking now at the parts and how they fit together. This is one of the motor drive blocks. I am in the process of getting some of the parts like this one made from aluminium to make sure the strength and minimal flex is priority on the X axis where the extended length is on the printer.

IMG_4379.jpg
IMG_4379.jpg (156.43 KiB) Viewed 311 times

PaulJ_2.0
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat May 11, 2019 11:32 pm

Re: Building a DIY large bed 3D printer

Post by PaulJ_2.0 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:12 am

Icky wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:28 am
Looking now at the parts and how they fit together. This is one of the motor drive blocks. I am in the process of getting some of the parts like this one made from aluminium to make sure the strength and minimal flex is priority on the X axis where the extended length is on the printer.


IMG_4379.jpg
If you need someone with a CNC, I can put you in contact with someone that can make one off parts fairly reasonably priced, especially if you mention my name.

User avatar
PhilC
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1802
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:22 pm

Re: Building a DIY large bed 3D printer

Post by PhilC » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:29 am

Looking good Icky.

Does the missus know she has a new coffee table yet?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

User avatar
Icky
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1358
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:57 am
Location: UK

Re: Building a DIY large bed 3D printer

Post by Icky » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:20 am

PaulJ_2.0 wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:12 am
Icky wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:28 am
Looking now at the parts and how they fit together. This is one of the motor drive blocks. I am in the process of getting some of the parts like this one made from aluminium to make sure the strength and minimal flex is priority on the X axis where the extended length is on the printer.


IMG_4379.jpg
If you need someone with a CNC, I can put you in contact with someone that can make one off parts fairly reasonably priced, especially if you mention my name.
Thanks PaulJ_2.0. Will keep that in mind.

User avatar
Icky
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1358
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:57 am
Location: UK

Re: Building a DIY large bed 3D printer

Post by Icky » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:24 am

PhilC wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:29 am
Looking good Icky.

Does the missus know she has a new coffee table yet?
Ah yes. It got spotted the other day I could not hide it any longer, for some reason :roll:

User avatar
PaulJ
Trusted Guru
Trusted Guru
Posts: 726
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:14 am
Location: USA

Re: Building a DIY large bed 3D printer

Post by PaulJ » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:26 am

Couple more iterations and you'll be able to print houses!!

User avatar
PhilC
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1802
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:22 pm

Re: Building a DIY large bed 3D printer

Post by PhilC » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:16 am

PaulJ wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:26 am
Couple more iterations and you'll be able to print houses!!
It's big enough now to be confused with the steel framework of an office block.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.

User avatar
Icky
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1358
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:57 am
Location: UK

Re: Building a DIY large bed 3D printer

Post by Icky » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:19 pm

Printbed heater arrived today. Looks like a giant Manta Ray.

IMG_4383.jpg
IMG_4383.jpg (82.37 KiB) Viewed 223 times

Post Reply

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”