Building a DIY large bed 3D printer

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
Lynxman

Re: Building a DIY large bed 3D printer

Post by Lynxman »

I once made a 500x800x480 mm 3D printer with a moving bed, as an experiment. Print quality was outstanding because I used two motors on the bed movement. I sold it because I didn't have room for it. :)
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Lynxman wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:20 pm I once made a 500x800x480 mm 3D printer with a moving bed, as an experiment. Print quality was outstanding because I used two motors on the bed movement. I sold it because I didn't have room for it. :)
I can see why you did not have room for it @Lynxman. Mine is across the patio doors of my office so there is no going in or out that way anymore.

Today I have been assembling a hall effect end stop for the Giant Panda as I have been having issues with the micro switches. This is an MZBOT board a group of developers in the Voron space have designed.

IMG_4835.jpeg
IMG_4835.jpeg (117.7 KiB) Viewed 5939 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

Sounds like a good mod :thumbup:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

I finally finished sorting out the wiring loom as I was constantly getting heater failures. In doing so I took the time to upgrade the whole system to drag chain from the original tape measure metal based sheathing (seen in white in the pic). I still hate crimping but at least now I have three sections that can be removed and replaced independently now if I get a wire issue again in the future.

IMG_5007.jpeg
IMG_5007.jpeg (143.33 KiB) Viewed 5634 times

Whilst I have this up and running I thought I would help the effort at https://www.3dcrowd.uk and print mask parts. First time printing with PETG where the Giant Panda is really optimised for ABS so there is a little stringing on this first print as PETG obviously oozes more than ABS. Have calibrated the extrusion to compensate.

PhilC

Post by PhilC »

It really does put the size of the printer into perspective when you see it print a face shield and see how small it looks on the printer bed :)
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

PhilC wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:01 pm It really does put the size of the printer into perspective when you see it print a face shield and see how small it looks on the printer bed :)
Indeed it does. If I get the calibration sorted I will see if I can get about 6x on the go across the bed.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Good luck with getting it sorted.

What's the fumes from PETG like?
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Spending all weekend mostly on the printer. It's having a facelift as I found a few deformed parts inside. The Giant Panda was based on the Voron 2.1 but Voron is now at 2.4. Last week the panda printed a load of new parts that I modified (to add more strength) off of the V2.4 parts. Hopefully by the end of the weekend it will be working in a hybrid of 2.1 and 2.4 (custom parts).

One thing I have found its not easy re-building a large printer in a small room. I have lost count of the times I have tripped over things.
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Oh boy. This some of what come out of the printer. It hurts when you stand on those pieces in bare feet. Just like lego bricks :)

IMG_5352.jpeg
IMG_5352.jpeg (242.67 KiB) Viewed 5012 times
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

This is what happens when you try and print at 800m/s. :lol:
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”