Looks like I'll be getting a Mega ST4 soon

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looks like I'll be getting a Mega ST4 soon

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Well, it looks like I'll soon be the proud owner of a Mega ST4.

As with anything, it needs a little TLC, maybe some new bits, but looking forwards to getting my hands on it and tinkering.

There is no KB, but I think I should be able to get round that, and I may be able to get one of the IDE boards I have spare fitted and expand that way.

If anybody has any suggestions about add ins that work with the bus expansion slot, I'd be interested to hear.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
PaulJ

Re: Looks like I'll be getting a Mega ST4 soon

Post by PaulJ »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:36 pm Well, it looks like I'll soon be the proud owner of a Mega ST4.

As with anything, it needs a little TLC, maybe some new bits, but looking forwards to getting my hands on it and tinkering.

There is no KB, but I think I should be able to get round that, and I may be able to get one of the IDE boards I have spare fitted and expand that way.

If anybody has any suggestions about add ins that work with the bus expansion slot, I'd be interested to hear.
Jon, saw your exchange on facebook. What condition is the mega4 in? Sounded like it may have had a hard life. I have two mega4's that both came without keyboards and purchasing a keyboard by its self is ridiculous. The Eiffel works good if you don't consider the pic's getting erased by happenstance. I guess as long as you keep spare pics on hand you're golden. Good luck with it. :) :) :)
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:36 pm Well, it looks like I'll soon be the proud owner of a Mega ST4.

I've been thing about the expansion slot for a long time. The video card with the ecl output sounds like more trouble that its worth, also believe there is a 68881/2 card that plugs in but its kind of a wasted effort in my opinion since very few app's use it. What I have been thinking is a board that expands memory. Six mb of static expanded memory would be nice. :)
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

I started on a Megabus to 68000 socket adaptor to put some of the STFM upgrades into it without excessive stacking.
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
DoG

Post by DoG »

I got one of those FPU cards for the Mega bus. It's huge.

Also got a IDE card for the Mega bus. Can't remember where I bought it from.
Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

I have the Viking Card.. but I took it out and dont think I will be putting it back in.

Is the one you got a real MEga4? or a Mega2 with the 2mb additional populated? I know all about the dogs breakfast machines.. I have had a few. My mega (knock on wood) seems to be working fine. little bummed I got a 360k drive in it.. not even a 720k. Love there are a bunch of us.. making getting opinions easy.. ;)

James
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

You've got some catching up to do RJ, I've got 3 working ones here, all boosted :P
If it ain't broke, test it to Destruction.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

It's a Mega ST4 AFIK, but the seller suggests it doesn't work with a blitter installed, but TBH I don't care as it will be a Cubase machine, and it does work without. The case badge is definitely a Mega ST4.

How I wish I'd held on to my Mega ST2 all those years ago!!

The case has sadly been cut, looks like to allow removal of the big button floppy and to fit a normal one, but again, I'm not too worried as I will most likely Gotek it anyway. I will have a look at the possibility of 3d printing something to go in the case over the chopped slot to tidy it up and make use one of the 3d Printed Gotek mounts I have to make it look nice.

It does look like it's had a hard time, but I had to go for it (Like I need ANOTHER project). Still, Winter is coming and I always get more soldering done then.

As for IDE, I have a second beta IDE board which should work nicely with a bit of fettling, and it isn't too huge. I could also try dropping my PAK 68/2 in it, see what turns up :) That has a 68882 in it and TOS 2.06, so would be interesting to try.

As for KB, well I may try Eiffel, I'm not decided yet, but will keep some PICs spare to be sure!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

PhilC wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:07 pm You've got some catching up to do RJ, I've got 3 working ones here, all boosted :P
Damn.... three!
JezC

Post by JezC »

I really like my Mega 4 (it has the original keyboard but a couple of the buttons are broken) but haven't yet had time to sort out upgrading the 2x ROM TOS1.02 to a switchable TOS 1.02/1.04 setup.

I've got the board from Exxos for this but have not yet had time to build it (see my other post about the new kitten for part of the explanation) let alone program up a ROM (still waiting on the arrival of the PLCC 44 pin adaptor for the programmer).

The Megafile 60 which came with it is nice (but very noisy)...along with the Midex+, Cubase 3 dongle, Avalon & Synthworks DX-7 & M1...

Sadly the SM124 worked when I first tested it but has refused to turn on since...it's on the 'to be fixed' list but as I ahve a few other working mono displays, it's nowhere near the top...

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”