Stuff and Things.

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
atari030

Re: Stuff and Things.

Post by atari030 »

Sounds good, mate. I hope it falls into place for you.
DoG

Post by DoG »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:57 am...though sometimes it just means a short wait until payday, because we agreed I have a gadget budget, so if I hit that (It's only £100 a month, but it works) I wait until I'm paid.
If you save every month, after two years or so, you can probably buy a Falcon... :lol: :roll:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

DoG wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:43 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:57 am...though sometimes it just means a short wait until payday, because we agreed I have a gadget budget, so if I hit that (It's only £100 a month, but it works) I wait until I'm paid.
If you save every month, after two years or so, you can probably buy a Falcon... :lol: :roll:
Then if I save for another two years I might be able to afford the parts to repair it :lol: :lol: :lol:
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Ok, Amiga 1200 off the list of projects, fully recapped thanks to a kit from Amigakit and a new keyboard membrane from RWAP.

My ZX81 has a nice new keyboard membrane waiting to go in, and I have installed the replacement guts to the modulator, also from RWAP, which gives a lovely composite signal out of the original modulator socket.

Minor problem though, I get a plain white screen and no cursor :(

The ULA is in a hideous style socket, so I think that will have to go, but I really hope the ULA isn't dead, because they are pretty hard to replace cheaply.

Not many chips to work with with though, just the 4!!! So I'll replace the horrible sockets and see what's what. 5V is good from the regulator, which was replaced a little while back.

It had been working on the TV prior, but had the back porch problem with a very dark screen. Will have to try and get a vla81 ULA replacement, but they are damn hard to find at the moment!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Yeah the vLA81 is out of stock everywhere. :-/

I wonder when Charles will make some more, if ever.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:12 am Yeah the vLA81 is out of stock everywhere. :-/

I wonder when Charles will make some more, if ever.
I have emailed him to ask how I can get one. I guess I'll wait and see what happens, but I just found an original ULA on eBay for £150+, which I most certainly am not paying!!

I'm a little surprised no one else has made one. Be nice if he released everything so people could make their own, but I understand why he wouldn't.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I may still have the original (early, no backporch) version hanging around. I may be able to fish it out and send it to you.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:59 am I may still have the original (early, no backporch) version hanging around. I may be able to fish it out and send it to you.
That would be interesting Stephen, let me know what you want for it?

I have contacted the vLA81 guy and he is selling direct, just waiting for a price from him before I pull the trigger. Be really nice to get it running again as it's an issue 1.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

If I find it I'll just send it to you. No need to think about money, it's sharing between enthusiasts, as it should be.

eBay has made people think that everything has a price (and no-one thinks of the real value any more).
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:19 pm If I find it I'll just send it to you. No need to think about money, it's sharing between enthusiasts, as it should be.

eBay has made people think that everything has a price (and no-one thinks of the real value any more).
Cool, thank you.

I know what you mean about sharing, I just don't like to assume it will be that way :)

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”