Stuff and Things.

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
stephen_usher

Re: Stuff and Things.

Post by stephen_usher »

It looks... tidy! ;-)
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:26 pm It looks... tidy! ;-)
For now.....
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
JezC

Post by JezC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:47 pm Yeah, the Mega KBD looks really kind of cool, and I am hating repairing the case! I also need to find a UK keycap set in my stash as it's an azerty layout

My lab/workshop has been a long time coming, I'm pretty happy with it :)
Not sure that standard ST keycaps are a good fit on the Mega keyswitches...I have a Mega kbd with a missing Help key & the standard cap doesn't stay in position (and I don't want to resort to glue except as a final resort).
Icky
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Icky »

Nice setup @rubber_jonnie.

Looks like a decent sized room for all that retro work.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:22 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 1:47 pm Yeah, the Mega KBD looks really kind of cool, and I am hating repairing the case! I also need to find a UK keycap set in my stash as it's an azerty layout

My lab/workshop has been a long time coming, I'm pretty happy with it :)
Not sure that standard ST keycaps are a good fit on the Mega keyswitches...I have a Mega kbd with a missing Help key & the standard cap doesn't stay in position (and I don't want to resort to glue except as a final resort).
Yeah, gotta do some figuring out around that, like figuring out where my spare keyboards are!!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Icky wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:58 pm Nice setup @rubber_jonnie.

Looks like a decent sized room for all that retro work.
I'm really happy with it, just need to get some time away from doing housey things so I can use it!!
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

With regards to keycaps. As the Mega ST keyboard uses Cherry switches you could fit non-Atari caps to the main part of the keyboard. OK, not a great solution but it can get you up and running.
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:10 am With regards to keycaps. As the Mega ST keyboard uses Cherry switches you could fit non-Atari caps to the main part of the keyboard. OK, not a great solution but it can get you up and running.
Yeah, sounds possible, pretty sure you can buy whole keycap sets. I could also If I need to, print some labels to get me going. I just need to drag an ST keyboard out to look at the differences, but I haven't found them yet!
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

How's your workshop coming along? I've not seen any updates recently.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:10 am How's your workshop coming along? I've not seen any updates recently.
Actually pretty much there after the bank holiday weekend thanks :)

Workshop_2.jpg
Workshop_2.jpg (95.42 KiB) Viewed 1814 times

Last thing in was the set of drawers and a bit more in the way of old machines out and working.

Projects have been a bit small, such as the Mega KBD case restore, which is still in progress, but with other new house stuff to be done it has been slow progress. Also, we've had my wife's sister over during the bank holiday, this weekend her parents are here and next weekend I'm going to check in on my own parents!!

With all that going on, plus being back at karate twice a week, retro time has been thin on the ground, not to mention still having a lot of stuff still in boxes including ongoing projects. That all needs storage in the spare room, which we're working on, and slowly making progress

Just got to get back into the swing of things. To be fair we've only been here 9 weeks, so we are doing well with just how much is sorted.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”