Stuff and Things.

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
stephen_usher

Re: Stuff and Things.

Post by stephen_usher »

Hmm… Sounds like OneOfThoseDays(tm)
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
JezC

Post by JezC »

@rubber_jonnie Hoping you have a better day today! Fingers crossed...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:44 pm Hmm… Sounds like OneOfThoseDays(tm)
It certainly was. I also received an Omega Race cart for the VIC-20 and it doesn't work, despite cleaning the edge contacts, so now I need to tear down the VIC and see if the cart connector needs a reflow
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:00 am @rubber_jonnie Hoping you have a better day today! Fingers crossed...
Thanks, me too!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:18 am
stephen_usher wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:44 pm Hmm… Sounds like OneOfThoseDays(tm)
It certainly was. I also received an Omega Race cart for the VIC-20 and it doesn't work, despite cleaning the edge contacts, so now I need to tear down the VIC and see if the cart connector needs a reflow
*sigh*
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:20 am
rubber_jonnie wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:18 am

*sigh*
That about covers it....
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Well, Amazon have cocked up.

I dropped my phone a week ago and badly smashed the screen. Since I would have been due to upgrade soon anyway I decided I'd get a new phone (I always go SIM free and buy my phones outright), then send my old one off for repair and sell it later to recoup some of the cost.

So I order one from Amazon, next business day, get an order confirmation email, then - silence.

So I hit up their online chat (Handy hint - as soon as you can, ask to speak to a human!!) and spoke to 5 different people, including a supervisor, all of who couldn't tell me anything and fobbed me off, and 3 of which who cut me off!!!

I made a complaint by email to be told the phone, still on sale and marked as in stock on the website, is not actually in stock at all and it could be anywhere from 24 hrs to 14 days before they know if they'll be getting any, let alone fulfilling my order.

In all my years of being an Amazon customer, this is the first time I've needed to speak to their customer service team and I am absolutely shocked by how appalling the experience was.

Better go and try to source the phone elsewhere since I just cancelled my order.

:mad: :mad: :mad:
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

Was this fulfilled by Amazon or just Amazon Marketplace?

Unless it’s totally unavoidable I never buy anything expensive on Amazon as you just don’t know who the real vendor is and you potentially lose your credit card protection as the contract is for Amazon to give the money to the ultimate vendor and not to supply the goods.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:14 pm Was this fulfilled by Amazon or just Amazon Marketplace?

Unless it’s totally unavoidable I never buy anything expensive on Amazon as you just don’t know who the real vendor is and you potentially lose your credit card protection as the contract is for Amazon to give the money to the ultimate vendor and not to supply the goods.
No it's fulfilled by Amazon, not Amazon Marketplace, I wouldn't buy anything like this other than from Amazon itself. I just cannot get the phone I want from anywhere and they are still showing it as in stock as I write this!!
BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy »

It's a tough one, phones are commodity items these days so there aren't even any reputable sellers who have good after sales, but at least if you rock up to a shop you can refuse to hand your money over if they don't have an item in stock.

I'm a keen photographer and always use the same shop in Leeds for whatever I buy, the relationship I have with those guys is superb and has probably repaid the premium I pay (and it's not all that more expensive really) many times over across the years.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”