Stuff and Things.

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Stuff and Things.

Post by rubber_jonnie »

BennehBoy wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:18 pm It's a tough one, phones are commodity items these days so there aren't even any reputable sellers who have good after sales, but at least if you rock up to a shop you can refuse to hand your money over if they don't have an item in stock.

I'm a keen photographer and always use the same shop in Leeds for whatever I buy, the relationship I have with those guys is superb and has probably repaid the premium I pay (and it's not all that more expensive really) many times over across the years.
I hear what you're saying, but unfortunately with phones, it isn't quite that simple. The local phone stores, even the larger ones like Carphone Warehouse etc just don't keep expensive phones in stock, so I can't just walk in and buy what I want, I need to place a special order and they aren't able to give accurate timings.

I've had this problem with my last 3 phones, so I've either ordered direct from the manufacturer, or if the manufacturer has none, via Amazon as long as it isn't Marketplace. Never had an issue before.

It was ordered from and to be fulfilled by Amazon, but when I asked the question "where is my order?" nobody was able to answer the question and it took a complaint email to find out that they don't actually have any in the UK, despite the site saying (And it still does right now) that it is in stock. it seems the tactic is to say I can't help you until you either give up or they decide they want to close the chat.

It's more about the lack of communication. "Sorry sir, we have none in stock, we will be getting some in XX days/weeks/months etc". Then at least I'd have had a clue what was going on. Instead they told me they couldn't tell me, they didn't know and to wait for an email saying when they would have it, anywhere between 24hrs and 14 days.

I can't get the phone I wanted so the order is cancelled and I have gone back to Google for a Pixel 6, ordered this morning and already shipped and with a courier tracking number.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
BennehBoy

Post by BennehBoy »

Yeah I understand, that's what I meant about phones being commodity, there's just so slim a margin and that high of a demand that it's next to impossible to get top tier stock with good service.

Maybe I'm a miser, but I just simply refuse to follow the trend with phone buying, we're always in the mid tier with hardware and only really refresh when things break. At that tier things are a bit more available, I'm still rocking my pixel 3a :D

My wife & kids are all Apple users, but I just cannot bring myself to use modern apple equipment.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

BennehBoy wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:40 pm Yeah I understand, that's what I meant about phones being commodity, there's just so slim a margin and that high of a demand that it's next to impossible to get top tier stock with good service.

Maybe I'm a miser, but I just simply refuse to follow the trend with phone buying, we're always in the mid tier with hardware and only really refresh when things break. At that tier things are a bit more available, I'm still rocking my pixel 3a :D

My wife & kids are all Apple users, but I just cannot bring myself to use modern apple equipment.
TBH I was going to probably keep the broken phone longer than usual despite the impending upgrade time, as it was doing everything I needed, but then smashy smashy.

I was going to try using a spare iPhone 6S we have, but I just didn't get on with it so decided just to upgrade. I am getting the old phone repaired, but I don't know how long it will take, if it's deemed repairable, but I need a phone in the meantime and the spare iPhone, well just bleurgh!!

My wife has an iPhone 11 and absolutely hates it. The lack of a fingerprint reader that was in the 8 Plus she had has turned out to be a dealbreaker. If the iPhone 14 when it arrives doesn't have a fingerprint reader, then I doubt she'll get another iPhone. I dislike them intensely, which is probably why I didn't get on with the spare.

On the other hand I like my M1 Pro Macbook Pro, so Apple do do some stuff right.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Well, finally found a replacement mylar for my 65XE, courtesy of the Brewing Academy. To be fair, I've owned the machine from new, so I don't have any qualms about replacing it as it has seen sterling service over the years.

What I didn't realise (And I should have given my experiences over the years) is that there are 2 keyboard types, one with springs and one with rubber domes.

Turns out that the rubber dome mylars seem to be harder to get here, hence why I've had to order from the US. On a positive note, at least I can get brand spanking new ones :)

So that leaves a minor issue to fix on the 800XL of the power LED not working, but I doubt that is anything serious.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:16 am So that leaves a minor issue to fix on the 800XL of the power LED not working, but I doubt that is anything serious.
Famous last words!

Hehe.

Glad you found the replacement keyboard membrane. (Almost typoed "keybard membrane" there. Maybe it is for writing poetry and songs? :-) )
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:38 am
rubber_jonnie wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:16 am So that leaves a minor issue to fix on the 800XL of the power LED not working, but I doubt that is anything serious.
Famous last words!

Hehe.

Glad you found the replacement keyboard membrane. (Almost typoed "keybard membrane" there. Maybe it is for writing poetry and songs? :-) )
Well, I think poetry and songs would be an awesome use for it :)
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Ahh the joys of first world problems.

I'm stuck waiting to fix my 65XE because the new mylar is in transit.

I'm stuck waiting to fix my VIC-20 because the new VIC chip is in transit.

I'm stuck waiting to fix my Dragon 32 because the new PIA is in transit.

And now I'm getting annoyed at the prices of rechargeable C cells for the Amstrad NC 200!!

I wish all the world's problems were really this simple.

Better go fix the power LED on my 800XL and see if I can do anything with the 600XL shimmering in the meantime.

Just had a thought, whilst I have the 800XL open, I could try swapping over the Antic, see if it helps.
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

I know. I'm waiting for: C64 S-Video cable (stuck somewhere in the Royal Mail), 10pF +-5% capacitors (will be sent today) and LunaFix64 (about to be dispatched) just in case the clock fixes don't help (but then I'll need to find a big heatsink for the VIC-2 chip).
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

stephen_usher wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:55 pm I know. I'm waiting for: C64 S-Video cable (stuck somewhere in the Royal Mail), 10pF +-5% capacitors (will be sent today) and LunaFix64 (about to be dispatched) just in case the clock fixes don't help (but then I'll need to find a big heatsink for the VIC-2 chip).
Glad you mentioned heatsinks, I need some for my VIC-20.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Well, seems like the keyboard ribbon 5v line to the power LED in the 800XL is broken, so need to figure out a fix.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”