Stuff and Things.

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Stuff and Things.

Post by rubber_jonnie »

exxos wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:36 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:33 pm @exxos Yeah, that would make sense, but why blue and not green? Weird.
I know this was talked about before a long time ago, but don't remember the conversation anymore.. or even if it was discussed on here or not :(
@exxos I've seen at least 3 like this, makes me wonder if the blue stuff didn't pop out and caused soldering problems on some, since the middle is hollow. Would love to get to the bottom of it.
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
exxos
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by exxos »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:42 pm @exxos I've seen at least 3 like this, makes me wonder if the blue stuff didn't pop out and caused soldering problems on some, since the middle is hollow. Would love to get to the bottom of it.
I think someone may have had a better explanation, but think that's basically it. It may have been the lacquer simply goes blue when not exposed to copper or something like that , google it ;)
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
https://www.exxosforum.co.uk/atari/store2/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1585 Have you done the Mandatory Fixes ?
Just because a lot of people agree on something, doesn't make it a fact. ~exxos ~
People should find solutions to problems, not find problems with solutions.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

exxos wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:46 pm
rubber_jonnie wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:42 pm @exxos I've seen at least 3 like this, makes me wonder if the blue stuff didn't pop out and caused soldering problems on some, since the middle is hollow. Would love to get to the bottom of it.
I think someone may have had a better explanation, but think that's basically it. It may have been the lacquer simply goes blue when not exposed to copper or something like that , google it ;)
@exxos Cool, I'll have a look.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Cool, my first ever order of PCBs arrived from PCBWay today. The DHL driver rang the bell and left the package on the doorstep and stood way back to make sure I picked it up!

Seems weird quarantining and cleaning mail, and maybe I'm going a bit over the top, but better safe than sorry.

Will open later today, they should be my Mega ST IDE PCBs :)

Has been thoroughly wiped down externally, and given how long it's been in the post I expect the contents are safe, but they'll be getting a spray down with IPA too just to be sure. Fingers crossed I didn't screw up the Gerber as it's my first go.

More later.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

Went down to make tea and thoroughly cleaned everything as I opened the package:

IMG_20200323_113750.jpg
IMG_20200323_113750.jpg (115.37 KiB) Viewed 2842 times

I have 5 boards and intend to build two, so there should be spares which I will likely have for sale later. The connectors are Harting ones I got from eBay. I have to say the PCBs are very nicely made and well worth the wait, which to be fair was only about a week.

Guess I need to build them and see what's what and report back.
JezC

Post by JezC »

@rubber_jonnie
I'll be following this with interest..if only as a comparison between the new exxos/Icky versions & this one for the Mega!

Good luck with the build...sadly we're still being expected to work in the office (but suitably spaced from each other & each department is isolated from the others), so as yet no self-isolation or increase in free time for the retro-pursuits
:pullhair: :( :cry:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:40 pm @rubber_jonnie
I'll be following this with interest..if only as a comparison between the new exxos/Icky versions & this one for the Mega!

Good luck with the build...sadly we're still being expected to work in the office (but suitably spaced from each other & each department is isolated from the others), so as yet no self-isolation or increase in free time for the retro-pursuits
:pullhair: :( :cry:
@JezC I will post here as I get stuff done, I'm lucky I can work from home, and I also live a bit out of the way, so social distancing hasn't changed our lives much thankfully.

What is hurting is that karate classes are closed, so I need to find another way to train. Location isn't important, but having to train alone is difficult.

Being diabetic though, what's most important is not getting Covid-19, so I just thank my lucky stars on a daily basis that I am not forced into the office.
JezC

Post by JezC »

@rubber_jonnie

My daughter's karate has been suspended for a while also (but she's only been going to it for a few weeks so far).

Definitely best to keep safe. One of my colleagues is diabetic & now working from home on his doctor's advice...and my diabetic cousin is having to be off for at least 3 months too. Better safe...

Like you, we are far enough from the crowds (most of the time) to not get much impact beyond the emptying of the shelves...though the madness over the weekend might start to change even that.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:28 pm @rubber_jonnie

My daughter's karate has been suspended for a while also (but she's only been going to it for a few weeks so far).

Definitely best to keep safe. One of my colleagues is diabetic & now working from home on his doctor's advice...and my diabetic cousin is having to be off for at least 3 months too. Better safe...

Like you, we are far enough from the crowds (most of the time) to not get much impact beyond the emptying of the shelves...though the madness over the weekend might start to change even that.
@JezC Shame her classes are suspended, hopefully they will be able to reopen once the nation isn't potentially infectious any more. Best option if you have any illnesses, like diabetes is to hide away, so they are doing the right thing.

The empty shelves are down to sheer stupidity and selfishness. By brother stuck his nose around the supermarket today and walked away, people were queueing as though there was no heath scare, stood right next to each other. All idiots.

Mind you, I expect once they all get infected, the rest of us who were a bit prepared will be able to go and shop sensibly if we need to. Mind you, we are getting home deliveries fine. There are some subs but nothing awful.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:22 pm What is hurting is that karate classes are closed, so I need to find another way to train. Location isn't important, but having to train alone is difficult.
Well rJ you will have to take a page out of Capt. Kirks book and say "I will not kill today". I know it won't be easy but you can do it... Capt Kirk did.

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”