Stuff and Things.

Blogs & guides and tales of woo by forum members.
JezC

Re: Stuff and Things.

Post by JezC »

@rubber_jonnie Sounds like lots of fun ahead!
As for Elite, I was working in a computer shop next door to Acorns north west office back in late 1984...so we were effectively their showroom...which meant we had the chance to test the early releases of their new games (and h/w).
We probably sold hundreds of BBC's on the back of Elite and similar unique products...sigh.

I still have the desire to obtain a BitStik for the Beeb at some point, though they seem pretty scarce and suitability expensive as a result.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:34 pm @rubber_jonnie Sounds like lots of fun ahead!
As for Elite, I was working in a computer shop next door to Acorns north west office back in late 1984...so we were effectively their showroom...which meant we had the chance to test the early releases of their new games (and h/w).
We probably sold hundreds of BBC's on the back of Elite and similar unique products...sigh.

I still have the desire to obtain a BitStik for the Beeb at some point, though they seem pretty scarce and suitability expensive as a result.
Cool, sounds like a good place to have worked!!! As for the BitStik, good luck with that, I expect they cost a small fortune these days. I was lucky enough to get a pair of Beeb joysticks off ebay too, also in need of a clean!!
Collector of many retro things!
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
JezC

Post by JezC »

Yes, it was a fun Saturday job for a few months when I started at Uni.

I doubt that I'll be getting one anytime soon.

Are they the official Acorn ones? Don't think I ever owned them...had an interface box to use the digital sticks for most of the time. Ok for many games back when I had reactions fast enough to play them!
Tried Oolite a few years back but couldn't get to destroy the Constrictor & finish that mission... :?
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:53 pm Yes, it was a fun Saturday job for a few months when I started at Uni.

I doubt that I'll be getting one anytime soon.

Are they the official Acorn ones? Don't think I ever owned them...had an interface box to use the digital sticks for most of the time. Ok for many games back when I had reactions fast enough to play them!
Tried Oolite a few years back but couldn't get to destroy the Constrictor & finish that mission... :?
AFAIK they are official Acorn analogue sticks, they are like a black handle with a trigger and stick on the top. There are two with a Y cable to plug into the Beeb.
800XL and 65XE both with Ultimate1MB,VBXL/XE & PokeyMax, SIDE3, SDrive Max, 2x 1010 cassette, 2x 1050 one with Happy mod, 3x 2600 Jr, 7800 and Lynx II
Approx 20 STs, including a 520 STM, 520 STFMs, 3x Mega ST, MSTE & 2x 32 Mhz boosted STEs
Plus the rest, totalling around 50 machines including a QL, 3x BBC Model B, Electron, Spectrums, ZX81 etc...
JezC

Post by JezC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:28 pm AFAIK they are official Acorn analogue sticks, they are like a black handle with a trigger and stick on the top. There are two with a Y cable to plug into the Beeb.
Yes, they sound like the original Acorn analogue joysticks from that description.

Do we need a specific area for BBC/Acorn topics? Or is there one already? I seem to have derailed your user blog enough... :oops: ;)
stephen_usher

Post by stephen_usher »

There's the "8-bit corner" on the forum, but that's not split into separate systems.
Intro retro computers since before they were retro...
ZX81->Spectrum->Memotech MTX->Sinclair QL->520STM->BBC Micro->TT030->PCs & Sun Workstations.
Added code to the MiNT kernel (still there the last time I checked) + put together MiNTOS.
Collection now with added Macs, Amigas, Suns and Acorns.
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

@JezC I don't mind, the user blog should be there for general chit-chat IMHO, but once I get into it I will start to post my Beeb stuff there.

I have my NC100 in bits cleaning the keyboard, and since it runs a Z80, i'll put that in the 8 bit section.
JezC

Post by JezC »

rubber_jonnie wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:47 am @JezC I don't mind, the user blog should be there for general chit-chat IMHO, but once I get into it I will start to post my Beeb stuff there.

I have my NC100 in bits cleaning the keyboard, and since it runs a Z80, i'll put that in the 8 bit section.
I have some old synths/samplers running on Z80s too, maybe they can be included somewhere in the 8 bit forum too...? Bit of a stretch maybe :roll:

Edit: Noticed there is an MSX section on there now...might be the result of someone designing a new MSX...so why not a BBC one etc? :D
JezC

Post by JezC »

stephen_usher wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:05 am There's the "8-bit corner" on the forum, but that's not split into separate systems.
Thanks... might get some more posts and visits now RJ has a wider selection of 8 bit systems! :lol: :roll:
rubber_jonnie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by rubber_jonnie »

JezC wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:30 pm
stephen_usher wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:05 am There's the "8-bit corner" on the forum, but that's not split into separate systems.
Thanks... might get some more posts and visits now RJ has a wider selection of 8 bit systems! :lol: :roll:
I already have some posts in there :)

Return to “MEMBER BLOGS”